• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN's new approach: Minimize

Mr. Scot

Watching camp stories on ESPN First Take. and oddly enough they actually talked about the civil suit against Roethlisberger.

Sort of...

They acknowledged that it existed, but downplayed the significance, stating that it essentially would go away fairly soon.

Appears they've chosen a new approach regarding this story. They can no longer deny that it exists, but the plan now is to talk about it as if it's nothing.

Watching camp stories on ESPN First Take. and oddly enough they actually talked about the civil suit against Roethlisberger.

Sort of...

They acknowledged that it existed, but downplayed the significance, stating that it essentially would go away fairly soon.

Appears they've chosen a new approach regarding this story. They can no longer deny that it exists, but the plan now is to talk about it as if it's nothing.

The accusation has been made by the plaintiff and subsequently denied by the defendant. Now it is a civil proceeding.

What would you like ESPN to do? Repeat the story hour after hour? Bring in experts to speculate on the outcome?

Teams are reporting to their respective camps. Maybe ESPN believes that these stories are more topical.

:rolleyes:

The accusation has been made by the plaintiff and subsequently denied by the defendant. Now it is a civil proceeding.

What would you like ESPN to do? Repeat the story hour after hour? Bring in experts to speculate on the outcome?

Teams are reporting to their respective camps. Maybe ESPN believes that these stories are more topical.

If ESPN had ignored every other "civil proceeding" then I'd be okay with it, but they haven't. No one put out a "do not report" memo on any of the other stories of this type.

And FB, I agree. Tomlin's comment has to be one of the dumbest I've heard in a while.

They just spent the past 2 months debating whether Brett Favre would come out of retirement or not... they could talk more about Ben's civil case if they wanted to.

But I didn't want to hear about Brett every single day, and I don't want to hear about Ben every single day either, so I really don't mind the approach they took with this story.

And FB, I agree. Tomlin's comment has to be one of the dumbest I've heard in a while.

Speaking of dumb comments, I read about this comment on another site from Dec 2008 before Pitt played Dallas. I don't think Romo will be flying to BR's defense either...lol

First few sentences, no problem. Last two in bold? Problem.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2008/12/roethlisberger-on-romo.html

Roethlisberger on Romo

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger weighed in Thursday with his thoughts on the very public nature of the personal life of his Dallas Cowboys counterpart, Tony Romo.

"He's dating high-profile," Roethlisberger told reporters, according to an account in the Beaver County Times. "He's doing all the stuff that he wants to do. That's the life that he chooses to live off the football field and that's his choice. It's what he chooses to do."

Romo, of course, has become almost as famous for dating Jessica Simpson as he is for quarterbacking the Cowboys, and the publicity that he's gotten over the relationship hasn't always been kind.

Roethlisberger also said, according to the newspaper: "I don't mean this to sound rude. But he's asking for it."

The two teams play Sunday at Heinz Field.

By Mark Maske | December 5, 2008; 2:01 PM ET

Archived