• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jon Beason's newest blog

Press

Everyone sees it. Everyone knows it's a tough schedule based on last year's records. But we have differing opinions as to whether or not you can say at this point that it will heavily impact our team next season.

Exactly.. Last year, I'd say yes. But you never know how tough the teams will be. Teams rise and fall as the season goes, whether it be injuries or chemistry. ;)

Not only that, but as a general opinion, I think our team has the toughness to show these teams a great football game. I think we contend at this point.

The next month and a half is vital for me in getting back into “Beast” mode, getting bigger, faster and meaner.

He must read the forum... :rolleyes:

Fatigue makes cowards of us all.

The guy just gets it...

Our defense is playing a lot faster now with an emphasis on chasing the ball and stripping it. Making tackles and swarming to the ball is a big part of our coach’s philosophy. I like it and I think we have the personnel to do it.

Let's hope so...

I’m excited for the season and we had better be ready because the schedule is loaded. We play the AFC East and the NFC East, plus our division, with some big-time games, a Monday nighter, a Thursday nighter.

Those are the games you live for.

Amen to that, this should be a fun season to watch...

This is the old link from a Fowler story in the Observer, but it doesn't work anymore. The pertinent quote is this:

In the flurry of private workouts that followed, Beason developed a liking for several teams, including Carolina and the New York Giants, and a dislike for a couple of others. One of the teams he didn't admire was New England. Beason felt the Patriots weren't loyal enough to their veterans; plus he didn't like the weather and didn't want to play in coach Bill Belichick's 3-4 defensive scheme.

Belichick came to Miami to work out safety Brandon Meriweather and Beason individually. From other former Hurricanes, Beason knew that Belichick would concoct a difficult workout.

“So he was just trying to kill us,” Beason remembers. It was then that Beason tried to gently sabotage his chances with New England.

Remembers Beason: “I said, ‘You know what, Coach? I need some water.' I knew he wouldn't like it. Brandon was like, ‘C'mon, Beast!' But I stopped and got some water.”

On Draft Day, 2007, New England picked 24th, right in front of Carolina after the Panthers traded down. Both Meriweather and Beason were still available. New England picked Meriweather (now a backup safety).

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/262845.html

I'm SO glad we drafted him.

I wouldn't take any other middle linebacker in the world at this point...not Ray Lewis, not Pat Willis, not anyone.

You know what, I'll go one further. I'd rather have Beason and Davis than any two LB's from any other team. I think we got really lucky because they'll both be in this league together for a very long time.

To think, he might have been a Patriot had he not deliberately slacked off in his workout for them (despite the urgings of Meriweather) because he didn't want to play for them.

I am sure that makes people love him even more. :D

Very much so. Because not only does that mean he didn't want to play for the Patriots, but it also meant he really wanted to play for us. I really do like seeing players heading into the NFL wanting to play here which must say good things about the reputation of the Panthers organization with young players.

Archived