• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So is it a monitor problem or video card?

pstall

I will come home, move the mouse and the screen no longer goes from sleep mode to being able to view. The light on the monitor stays orange and never goes green.

So I have to power off. Then when my pc comes back on, it clocks trying to go on line.

So I then shutdown from windows and then fire it back up and it works fine. :incazzato:

I had an ATI that I swear was bad from the day I bought it. It acted exactly like what you describe and I fought with it for about 2 years. I had upgraded the power supply but I think the fan on the card was bad as well as some soldering and it would get hot. Then I'd see "no signal" and have to reboot 2-3 times. So when it started happening more often, I gladly replaced it with a G-force card. I bought the best I could which actually isn't the greatest available because my system is old enough to need an AGP.

I don't let my system hibernate; I set it to turn off the monitor after 15 minutes. But since Update Tuesday in December, I've been having a problem if I leave my system up 24/7. Something starts iexplorer.exe but not fully (half the kb needed as normal) and I can't do much until I kill that process. Unfortunately I let Windows update my graphics drivers at the same time (I should've known better!). So my 1st guess for my problem is that something is trying to go online for updates and can't and my 2nd guess is that it's my graphics drivers doing it. I absolutely have every other automatic update turned off except my AVG. Too lazy to fix it.

When did all this start happening and what graphics card and power supply do you have?

XP.

Just started doing this the last two weeks.

Do you have service pack 3 installed? I had to remove it to get my new video card working correctly without going flakey on me. If you do have sp3, try removing it. Also be sure your drivers are up to date. The monthly Windows update was just this week.

Have you scanned for viruses and spyware/malware? Those will mess with internet explorer and network settings. Be sure to scan for rootkits too. I've used Rootkit Revealer. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

Again, what graphics card do you have? And power supply or computer brand/model if you can't tell the power supply.

And have you tried bowering another monitor that you know works to be sure it isn't the monitor?

• 2 weeks later...

I will come home, move the mouse and the screen no longer goes from sleep mode to being able to view. The light on the monitor stays orange and never goes green.

So I have to power off. Then when my pc comes back on, it clocks trying to go on line.

So I then shutdown from windows and then fire it back up and it works fine. :incazzato:

pstall!!!!!!!!! Microsoft sent out tonight a new update. The kb said they had broken the Autorun function (failed to have it end). I applied it, restarted, and now I am having no problems with IE or connecting. :eek:

If it doesn't come to your computer automatically, go to Windows update. It may not be listed as critical, you may have to look at the other updates. Or look up KB967715 for XP.

That'll fix your problem I'll bet! God love Microsoft because no one else does. :P

Archived