• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The basic spread should be the Panthers new offense???

cheynehowell

After analyzing the tape of the past two games, I have came to a conclusion that the only time the Panthers have been able to move the ball, has been when the Panthers where lined up in a spread O with two backs and the QB in shotgun with a 3 or 4 WR set. If the Panthers could put Goodson in the backfield with Stewart or Williams, the O line could now utilize their speed over the power blocking scheme. As most have noticed the Panthers have no longer been able to power block worth a damn anymore. Utilizing Clausens quick release on the dump offs to Goodson, I noticed the LB's having to backpedal instead of stepping forward on anticipation of a run. D Wills gains have been on the delayed handoff's which utilizes a Zone block instead of a Power scheme.

Will JD notice that Goodson is our second best receiver, and somehow keep him on the field with DWILL or JSTEW ??

Now granted the bucs and Gmen where in prevent most of the time this formation was on the field. Utilizing this formation earlier in the game will force teams to play more nickle and dime formations.

Fiametta has also caused DWILL and STEW to delay hitting the hole, because he is not reading the D correctly. The spread could keep him off the field!!!!

After analyzing the tape of the past two games, I have came to a conclusion that the only time the Panthers have been able to move the ball, has been when the Panthers where lined up in a spread O with two backs and the QB in shotgun with a 3 or 4 WR set. If the Panthers could put Goodson in the backfield with Stewart or Williams, the O line could now utilize their speed over the power blocking scheme. As most have noticed the Panthers have no longer been able to power block worth a damn anymore. Utilizing Clausens quick release on the dump offs to Goodson, I noticed the LB's having to backpedal instead of stepping forward on anticipation of a run. D Wills gains have been on the delayed handoff's which utilizes a Zone block instead of a Power scheme.

Will JD notice that Goodson is our second best receiver, and somehow keep him on the field with DWILL or JSTEW ??

Now granted the bucs and Gmen where in prevent most of the time this formation was on the field. Utilizing this formation earlier in the game will force teams to play more nickle and dime formations.

Fiametta has also caused DWILL and STEW to delay hitting the hole, because he is not reading the D correctly. The spread could keep him off the field!!!!

First of all, are you a pro scout? Are you watching game film or watching the TV replay? Just asking, not criticizing...

As for running the spread as a basic offense, we do run it alot. Only our spread formation is a 22 package with 2 wides and 2 TEs. We just don't ass out of it enough or line up in a run package and actually pass the ball.

To your point about Goodson, I agree. That dump pass was great to him, he had 20 yards to run. I question why we didn't go back to it. A play action pass over the middle was open all day as the linebackers came crashing it and the safeties either played the run or doubled Smitty. There were plenty of time when we could have dumped the ball to the back or hit them on a 5 or 10 little pass instead of trying to hold the ball and throwing 25 yards down the field.

I doubt we go to a spread but honestly there was more we could do with what we have, that is for sure.

No not a scout, this was just a basic observation. If you look at this clip, watch how many times Clausen checks through his progressions and refuses the safety outlet. I understand the 22 package and the spread extremely we'll. I was writing the memo so that a novice could understand. There are alot of experts on here that could go in depth on this too.

The main thing is Clausen needs to have a safety outlet to hit at all times. The spread allows this.

Archived