• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jackson to direct 'The Hobbit'?

The Link

Great news. You're right, it should have been him along but the project took so long he's finally free now to direct lol. Maybe it was meant to work out like this. Anyway, one great thing too is that I bet a lot of the original guys (Gandolf, Elrond) etc will come back to play their characters since they know Jackson.

Great news. You're right, it should have been him along but the project took so long he's finally free now to direct lol. Maybe it was meant to work out like this. Anyway, one great thing too is that I bet a lot of the original guys (Gandolf, Elrond) etc will come back to play their characters since they know Jackson.

Ian McKellen and Hugo Weaving are going to be reprising their roles as Gandalf and Elrond, respectively. So will Andy Serkis. The real question is who is Jackson going to pick to play Bilbo?

Megan Fox is available!

j/k

I am most likely the biggest fan of LOTR (books movies, hell I've played LOTRO Online since beta) on the site. I also hope that Jackson does not direct these movies. I love PJ, have loved him since I saw a shoddy VHS of Meet the Feebles in the early 90's, but The Hobbit needs to differentiate itself from LOTR in my opinion. Jackson, Walsh and Boyens have no doubt been doing a lot of the writing and preproduction duties, so it will look like Middle Earth - but the tone is going to be quite different in many ways.

But if he ends up doing it, I am sure it will be quite good - the problem will be that people will be expecting these movies to "top" LOTR which is not a possibility. The story, even though it will be augmented by a lot of new material, is just not as strong, it will be very hard to see a group of 12 dwarves differentiate themselves on screen vs. the Fellowship, etc.

That being said Smaug will be absolutely amazing, no doubt. There are some really pretty locations in the Hobbit, with the bonus of an actual military assault against Dol Goldur (at the end of Film 2 I would guess) by Gandalf and Aragorn (and perhaps Legolas as well). The interesting thing for that will be how Saruman is portrayed, as it's the White Council that does the eviction of the Witch King.

/nerdy McNerdALot off

samuel_l_jackson_cool_with_gun.jpg

Reuters:

March 14, 2011 - New Zealand

The cast and crew of 'The Hobbit', a new film being shot in New Zealand, walked off the set today after accusations of repeated threats and name calling by the director, Samuel L. Jackson.

Reached for comment, Jackson said "I don't understand why those little motherf-----s won't do what I say"

Archived