• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defensive Tackle Options

Mr. Scot

The Problem is you guys only have 2.6 million in cap room. So that almost rules out picking anybody up worth anything. The Peppers tag has painted you in a corner. If you pick up a DT it will have to be at Vet minimum and that will be no better than what you have now.

Nothing official done yet that I've seen, and no cap relief from IR I'm afraid.

Can some contracts still be reworked to get some money back? And tell the players you'll get the money back next year in an uncapped year plus some. Or is it too late for that??

Mr. Scot hats off to an outstanding post. But then again you usually fire up a good one when we need it most.

I personally believe any DC would like a mammoth DT like Kemo on your front line. As many have stated Kemo keeps people off Beason. Smaller DT's won't be as effective. So the question is. Do we go for similiar beef? Or are you looking for a steal, like Harris? Or are we looking smaller? (yeah like 300lb is small)

I hope we go for the beef.

As far as trade/waiver pickup. I would imagine Mr. Baker and Mr. Fox will be watching our current crop of DT's. Maybe we already have what we are looking for and they just got their opportunity.

Go Panthers

The Problem is you guys only have 2.6 million in cap room. So that almost rules out picking anybody up worth anything. The Peppers tag has painted you in a corner. If you pick up a DT it will have to be at Vet minimum or a rookie and that will be no better than what you have now.

Enough said!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hDQ1Gs71Ukf22LwDQwuV_W17xrqw

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — The Carolina Panthers have placed starting defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu on injured reserve, ending his season the same day he underwent surgery on his torn right Achilles' tendon.

The Panthers replaced him on the 80-man roster Wednesday with undrafted rookie George Hypolite.

Kemoeatu was injured minutes into Carolina's first training camp practice Monday. Kemoeatu said Tuesday he was holding out hope of returning for the last month of the season, but the Panthers likely couldn't hold a roster spot that long.

The six-foot-one, 290-pound Hypolite played at Colorado. He was waived by Jacksonville last month.

The Panthers will likely continue to look for help at defensive tackle, an area they had little depth before Kemoeatu's injury.

The Problem is you guys only have 2.6 million in cap room. So that almost rules out picking anybody up worth anything. The Peppers tag has painted you in a corner. If you pick up a DT it will have to be at Vet minimum and that will be no better than what you have now.

Not every player demands 5 to 6 million per year. Though I would rather not spend it $2.6 can sign more than your average DT. He might not be Jenkins or Hayneworth but surely he doesn't have to be an unproven rookie or a washed up vet.

Go Panthers

Yasinskas speculates on Shaun Smith and the Titans DTs.

Panthers could be watching Titans DT situation

It's a pretty safe bet the Tennessee Titans, who have an abundance of defensive tackles, are going to have to cut a player they like. If -- and I emphasize the word "if'' -- the Titans cut Kevin Vickerson, be ready for the Panthers to pounce on him. He's got good size, a little bit of experience and still has plenty of upside. One other Tennessee defensive tackle to keep an eye on is undrafted rookie Mitch King. He's having a nice camp, but could be a victim of numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

At the time this was written, I gave serious weight to the notion they might just stand pat.

Seeing what's happened since then, I now believe that was probably the original plan.

Unfortunately, Jordan Carstens doesn't play here anymore.

Given Marty Hurney's sudden desire to cash in his frequent flyer miles (and the suddenly loose lips of defensive stalwarts like Jon Beason, Damione Lewis and Julius Peppers) I'd say it's a safe bet they've decided an outside upgrade is needed.

Corey Williams wasn't on the radar when this was written, and he's the focus of a lot of the speculation now. Reasonable, but don't pencil him into your depth charts just yet. There's still time for Hurney to look around before the season starts, and a better option may yet present itself via trade or camp cuts.

Smart poker player that he generally is, Hurney may take a look at the offers available but not act on any of them until after the first - and maybe even the final - cuts are made. After all, it'd be a shame to give up something in trade only to find out a guy of similar caliber could have been had more cheaply with a little patience.

Is an earlier trade move possible? Sure, but no one should panic if it doesn't happen for a little while, maybe even until the week just prior to the season.

Stay tuned.

Archived