• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defensive Tackle Options

Mr. Scot

Great job Mr. Scot. I don't think a player like Darwin walker helps us now. We need a 1 technique DT not a 3 technique dt. Walker is like lewis a pass rush DT. We already have 2 young 3 tech dt's (Irving,Hayden). We need a wide body like Kemo. Who can take up blockers and keep Beason clean too make plays. I don't know how many of those DT are out their.

PS: This is why I miss Jenkins He could do both!!

Possibly the biggest question in the whole matter is whether they want a replacement who's a wide body like Kemo or whether they'll use this occasion to scale down the size of the defensive tackles so that they fit more into the mold of Meeks previous defenses.

Option two is a definite possibility, and Zod's mention of moving Lewis into Kemo's spot and backfilling is a legit prospect. It could be with Brayton or with someone else like Corvey Irvin or Nick Hayden.

Honestly, I'd almost hate to see Brayton move since position switching hurt him in Oakland and the Panthers original plan was to not subject him to that. Still, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Brayton would not be overpowered at DT and for me moving him to DT as the starter has been the best option since before the Kemo injury. I honestly didn't understand Kimo's role in this new defensive scheme and thought that he could be traded this offseason. He wasn't and so that was that. Now with Kemo down for at least most of the season and the switch to Meeks' new system, this actually could be a blessing in disguise.

Don't get me wrong, I have defended Kemo in the past when some fans labeled him as a bust. And I still feel he is a talented player. And for the most part I'm glad that the team didn't start moving players just to fit a new DC's scheme but now that Kemo is out let Meeks do what he has done best.

Back to Brayton, this guy is so overlooked it's a crime. While he doesn't get a lot of sacks he does create constant pressure. He is deceptively strong and has good footwork. In my opinion, he IS a more talented, more athletic Jordan Carstens. And he deserved the starting spot at LE last year in the system that was being run. But this year, with Meeks' new system, we need a LE more of the mold of Johnson or Brown. And under that system having Brayton at DT makes sense because his ability to create pressure and GET INTO THE BACKFIELD will continue to allow Beason to roam free at MLB. Same concept just a different approach.

The problem is Meeks system works better when you have a player like kemo who is not easy too move.

Indy still gave up rushing yards because they had no big body in the middle. They just scored so much that teams had too give up on the run.

The Brayton thing is he will not be able too hold up in that position for a whole season. Plus he is pretty much like lewis more of a pass rusher then a run stuffer. Please don't compare him too Carston. 2 totally different players Carston was as strong as 2 tractors. Brayton is more quick then strong.

The problem is Meeks system works better when you have a player like kemo who is not easy too move.

Indy still gave up rushing yards because they had no big body in the middle. They just scored so much that teams had too give up on the run.

The Brayton thing is he will not be able too hold up in that position for a whole season. Plus he is pretty much like lewis more of a pass rusher then a run stuffer. Please don't compare him too Carston. 2 totally different players Carston was as strong as 2 tractors. Brayton is more quick then strong.

See Mr. Scot's post above. I probably should have been more specific in that I'm not saying Brayton should take Kemo's spot. Moving him to a starting DT position would have to be at the 1-tech spot and then moving Lewis over to 3-tech. Doing this also doesn't remove the need of having to sign another player like Gibson or counting on a younger guy to step up because you are correct about Brayton holding up for an entire season at DT without a rotation behind him. I also think they need another 3-tech backup behind Lewis. But at the end of the day backups come a lot cheaper than starters.

As for the whole not wanting to move Brayton because thats what hurt him in Oakland arguement...lets be realistic. Brayton's position moves were probably not as much of an issue as the fact that he was playing in Oakland. And we all know the Panthers have never been shy about moving players around and have for the most part been successful at it. Gross, Wharton, Peppers and Davis come to mind right off the bat.

Great job Mr. Scot. I don't think a player like Darwin walker helps us now. We need a 1 technique DT not a 3 technique dt. Walker is like lewis a pass rush DT. We already have 2 young 3 tech dt's (Irving,Hayden). We need a wide body like Kemo. Who can take up blockers and keep Beason clean too make plays. I don't know how many of those DT are out their.

PS: This is why I miss Jenkins He could do both!!

:iamwithstupid:

First Step-sign Darwin walker

Second Step-move Brayton to DT permanently

Two easy steps and we can avoid a catastrophic meltdown. Hilee Taylor and Everette Brown will provide great depth behind Peppers and Johnson. Barring an injury between those four and our d-line, while taking a step back, will ultimately be able to survive. Kemeoatu will hopefully make an early return and be there for the playoffs.

Brayton dose not have the size to be a run stopping DT. He is more useful where he is.

Great write up Mr. Scott... per usual.

IMHO... we are so f*cked.

The Colts had a very successful D with smaller DTs. Really we are as lucky as we can be right now. Think if we were running a 3-4 then we really would be screwed. Our running D will suffer though.

Terdell Sands (6-7, 335, age 29, 7 yrs, 16/0 Raiders) Definite wide-body; Grady Jackson / Ted Washington type; decent run stuffer but not that great of a pass rusher; Raiders had reportedly been shopping him, but knowing the Raiders the asking price could be more than he’s really worth, especially if they think we need him; and although the profile is similar to Kemo, I’m not sure he’s the kind of guy Ron Meeks wants

I would love to have a plug like Terdell or a high motor guy like Dvorcek.

I think Sands has one of those bloated Raider contracts 4yr $20mill even though he wants out like you said raiders asking price and that contract :(

I'm not a fan of Walker I think his tank is about dry, if we can't get a decent impact player I would rather just develop what we have rather then take a flier

Great Write up Mr. Scott :thumbsup:

Great post Mr Scot! Has Kemo been placed on disabled list? If so how does that effect our cap room? Is his salary counted against us even though he's on DL? Waiting for cuts is probably the smartest route, we can't keep trading our future away.

As I look thu most NFL rosters most teams running a 4-3 scheme have 6'2" or shorter and 310 lbs and below. Most tackles want to play low, right? Sometimes watching Kemo he tends to play upright and gets pushed off the ball. I really think the size issue is a bit over-rated as far as tackles go. I would rather have quickness and depth. What does the rookie DT's look like in camp? We will have to get more pressure up the middle and a solid run stopper. Teams ran way to easy up the middle and had way to much time to throw. I hope someone steps up, its been a long time since we have had a stud at DT.

Archived