• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defensive Tackle Options

Mr. Scot

I still think moving Brayton to Tackle and let Johnson and Brown duke it out for LDE is our best option at the moment.

Except for the fact Brayton is undersized to play DT. He would be eaten alive on run plays as he was in Oak. There are no free agent NTs and a trade is kinda a dream at this point so the best we can do is work with what we got at DT right now. Lets just hope we run a cover 2\Tampa 2 style D now cause a NT is not so important in that system as is speed.

First Step-sign Darwin walker

Second Step-move Brayton to DT permanently

Two easy steps and we can avoid a catastrophic meltdown. Hilee Taylor and Everette Brown will provide great depth behind Peppers and Johnson. Barring an injury between those four and our d-line, while taking a step back, will ultimately be able to survive. Kemeoatu will hopefully make an early return and be there for the playoffs.

Israel Idonije (6-6, 270, 28, 6 yrs, 16/3 Bears) Could be the more likely target if the Bears were to become a trade partner again; some scouting reports list him as better against the run than the pass but I’ve also heard him described as mainly a situational pass rusher; considered raw but developing; would be a departure from Kemo but conceivably a better fit for Ron Meeks scheme; unknown whether the Bears would ask a higher price for him or Dvoracek

Got an extention recently I believe.

Got an extention recently I believe.

Yep. Still backup money though and they just drafted Jarron Gilbert. Bears hedged on whether they'd extend him but finally did. They list him at DT on roster but were last using him at DE, I think. They have a lot of options there.

He's one of those guys I could see as a possibility (in the Meeks mold) but it's hard to say what we might have to give up. Could be reasonable, but might not be.

I have a feeling if we were to trade with the Bears again, the price would be higher than it was last time. That's one of the thoughts that makes me waver.

Also on roster in Chicago (and not named Tommie Harris or Jarron Gilbert):

Marcus Harrison (6-3, 312, age 25, 2nd yr, 16/0) Last year's third rounder so hard to see them shipping him so soon; could conceivably move up if they traded Dvoracek; good size; backed up Tommie Harris previously; currently on the non-football injury list;

Anthony Adams (95, 6-0, 310, age 29, 7 yrs, 9/4) Another Carstens type (high motor but athletically limited) who's better against the run than the pass; might be reasonably priced with the younger DTs they have; inactive some last year and hurt late in the year; might be obtainable but something says "buyer beware" to me

Matt Toeaina (6-2, 308, 24, 2nd season, 1/0) Sixth round pick of the Bengals in 2007 who didn't make their squad and landed with the Bears, hasn't seen much action; could probably be obtained cheaply but what are you getting? you could hope for another Chris Harris here but there's not a lot to go on

How about these guys

Dewayne Robertson

Orpheus Roye

Rob Meier

Roye's even older than Thornton (age 36, 13 year vet) and only saw action in six games after returning to his old team last year. Available but I kinda hope we don't go that route.

Meier could be decent, but he moved up to starter after they lost Marcus Stroud and there isn't a whole lot to write home about behind him so I don't know if they let him go. Looking at the Jags roster, I might be more interested in this guy:

Derek Landri (6-2, 290, age 25, 3rd season, 15/0) Smaller DT (again, in the Meeks mold but not strikingly small) who's been a bit raw and inconsistent but got more playing time last year and could improve; might be a guy Brian Baker could mold

Knowing how things go, if we do trade for somebody, it'll likely be a name not mentioned here :lol:

Brayton would not be overpowered at DT and for me moving him to DT as the starter has been the best option since before the Kemo injury. I honestly didn't understand Kemo's role in this new defensive scheme and thought that he could be traded this offseason. He wasn't and so that was that. Now with Kemo down for at least most of the season and the switch to Meeks' new system, this actually could be a blessing in disguise.

Don't get me wrong, I have defended Kemo in the past when some fans labled him as a bust. And I still feel he is a talented player. And for the most part I'm glad that the team didn't start moving players just to fit a new DC's scheme but now that Kemo is out let Meeks do what he has done best.

Back to Brayton, this guy is so overlooked it's a crime. While he doesn't get a lot of sacks he does create constant pressure. He is deseptively strong and has good footwork. In my opinion, he IS a more talented, more athletic Jordan Carstens. And he deserved the starting spot at LE last year in the system that was being run. But this year, with Meeks' new system, we need a LE more of the mold of Johnson or Brown. And under that system having Brayton at DT makes sence because his ability to create pressure and GET INTO THE BACKFIELD will continue to allow Beason to roam free at MLB. Same concept just a different approach.

Archived