• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Delhomme has no hard feelings for Peppers

Source: Charlotte Observer

Quarterback Jake Delhomme said Peppers was welcomed back to the fold after missing minicamp and summer school practices – all part of the aftereffect of the Panthers placing their franchise tag on Peppers in February to prevent him from moving to another team.

“I saw him this morning (while) getting my physical,” said Delhomme. “I shook his hand like I would have done had he been here for minicamp or (summer school). There's a business side of football. Things happen, things get said, but he's here in camp.”

Delhomme praised Peppers for signing his contract tender in late June instead of waiting until after training camp started.

“Let's be honest, he could have easily missed the first week of camp and nobody would have said anything,” said Delhomme. “It's not like he would have needed it. I know (Panthers coach John Fox) won't want to hear that, but it's the truth. We all know that.”

Delhomme said players didn't think any less of Peppers after he voiced a desire to leave.

“Julius was never one to have this kind of hoopla surrounding him,” said Delhomme. “He's never in the media and things like that. It's not like it was, ‘Here we go again.' It was the first time. Maybe the waters were a little rough, but other than that (time), it's not him.

“Guys haven't given it a second thought.”

Though Peppers was silent Sunday, he told the Observer one day earlier that he stayed in contact with some of his teammates during the offseason and didn't expect any problems being accepted by them.

“I have not heard any negative feedback from anybody, so I expect us to pick up where we left off,” said Peppers. “My relationship with those guys remains strong.”

Peppers said he was in top shape, similar to last year when teammates raved about his physical conditioning at the start of training camp. He said he worked out in Arizona and Charlotte during the offseason.

Today's practices will be Peppers' first under new defensive coordinator Ron Meeks, who formerly ran the Indianapolis Colts' defense.

Peppers said he doesn't know how Meeks plans to use him.

“I know what I saw from his defense at Indy, but I can't say I expect things to be the same because we have different personnel and we have a different head coach who likes to do things a certain way,” said Peppers. “I'm looking forward to getting in there and finding out.”

Peppers insisted his contract squabbles wouldn't affect his play and took issue with analysts who have questioned the consistency of his effort.

In perhaps his strongest rebuttal of critics during his eight-year NFL career, Peppers told the Observer:

“I browse through the TV every now and then, and the newspaper, and see things about me taking plays off and all of those kinds of things. Basically, from my viewpoint, I know what I'm supposed to be doing on the field. And I know what kind of effort I'm giving.

“Anybody who thinks I don't put forth full effort or I can do more than what I'm doing, all I can say is I'm happy with how I play. I'm going to continue to play how I play. I'm going to continue to play with the same effort, which is full effort.

“For the record, I don't know where that came from. I don't know who put it out there, but it seems like everybody jumped on the bandwagon and formed an opinion for themselves based on what (someone) else said. But if they look at the tape, they'll see whether I play hard or not, and I do.”

Just imagine how scared some of these posters would be if we gave #90 their addresses? Talk it now! :D

You think he took names?

pffft...ok

My name is Panthro and I wear a members only jacket to the huddle tailgates...now go earn $17 million

Archived