• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The double dip

MedellinHeel

You're about 5 years late on that observation, but welcome to the party. But about that; the league is a passing oriented league, but we are going back to a ball control offense that relies on the ground game.

OL is what makes a rushing attack. OL is what allows your receivers to get open, OL is what keeps people away from Cam's surgically repaired ankle.

Seattle and Atlanta are two good example. Seattle had pedestrian receivers, but because Russell has one of the best OL's in the NFL he could wait for the routes to develop and allow the receivers to come open.

Atlanta has as much talent at the skill positions as anyone, but their neglect of the OL saw their O come to a screeching halt. Jackson couldn't run and Ryan didn't have the time in the pocket to throw the ball, even on shorter routes.

The offensive line does not allow receivers to get open, that's a myth at best. I played receiver from grade school to high school, and me getting open had nothing to do with what the offensive lineman on my team were doing. You can't get handled off the line, then be blanketed, then deal with over the top help and somehow run through your route and scramble open. It doesn't happen. Sometimes you can find a hole, but that's happening on a consistent basis. You have to beat your man, simple and plain.

The offensive line does not allow receivers to get open, that's a myth at best. I played receiver from grade school to high school, and me getting open had nothing to do with what the offensive lineman on my team were doing. You can't get handled off the line, then be blanketed, then deal with over the top help and somehow run through your route and scramble open. It doesn't happen. Sometimes you can find a hole, but that's happening on a consistent basis. You have to beat your man, simple and plain.

It's part of the equation, I didn't say it was the entire reason. Give a QB 5-7 seconds to throw and I guarantee you'll see more open receivers and completed passes than throw aways and coverage sacks.

Fwiw, I'm not discounting the need for skill players, simply saying you must have a proper foundation to get the most out of them. The OL is the foundation of the offense and DG agrees.

It's part of the equation, I didn't say it was the entire reason. Give a QB 5-7 seconds to throw and I guarantee you'll see more open receivers and completed passes than throw aways and coverage sacks.

Fwiw, I'm not discounting the need for skill players, simply saying you must have a proper foundation to get the most out of them. The OL is the foundation of the offense and DG agrees.

Well we seen that last year didn't we? Am I crazy to think that Cam spent a lot of time last year scrambling for what amounts to a hell of a lot of time for a quarterback to find a open man, and yet we didn't have the production that you would expect. Now if we had better receivers we would have seen more Russell Wilson type plays from Newton where maybe someone can find a whole or break open, but that's still a difficult task.

This is funny.

OL most certainly allows WR's to get open. 

Notice that doesn't mean every time or scenario. 

Yes you still have to beat your man, but beating your man is much easier when you have 6+ seconds compared to 3. 

Cam and Wilson's number were very similar.

Again, I'm not saying we don't need a serious infusion of receiver talent, my point is that you must have time to throw to them. In my dream world we walk away from the draft with 2 OL and 3-4 targets for Cam, but it's highly unlikely it'll work out that way.

This is funny.

OL most certainly allows WR's to get open. 

Notice that doesn't mean every time or scenario. 

Yes you still have to beat your man, but beating your man is much easier when you have 6+ seconds compared to 3. 

Have you played football, honest question? If so you haven't played receiver.

Seattle's O line was not that good either, it was basically Wilson scrambling around buying time and WR making plays.

That's actually somewhat correct. They were definitely good run blockers, but there pass protection left Wilson running a lot.

You're about 5 years late on that observation, but welcome to the party. But about that; the league is a passing oriented league, but we are going back to a ball control offense that relies on the ground game.

OL is what makes a rushing attack. OL is what allows your receivers to get open, OL is what keeps people away from Cam's surgically repaired ankle.

Seattle and Atlanta are two good example. Seattle had pedestrian receivers, but because Russell has one of the best OL's in the NFL he could wait for the routes to develop and allow the receivers to come open.

Atlanta has as much talent at the skill positions as anyone, but their neglect of the OL saw their O come to a screeching halt. Jackson couldn't run and Ryan didn't have the time in the pocket to throw the ball, even on shorter routes.

Since when are harvin sidney rice golden tate and doug baldwin pedestrian? Julio rody whiye and tony g were pedestrian? Why to key on the least important part of my argument.

All depends on who is available.  DT just happened to be BPA in last years draft for the Panthers.  If it's OL this year, I'd be ecstatic.  I'm nervous as hell every time Cam does one of his Hoodini scrambles, even more so now with his ankle surgery.  Panthers need to get big and bad on the OL to match up with the big dogs in the NFC.  Practicing against their own ferocious pass rush should help.

All depends on who is available.  DT just happened to be BPA in last years draft for the Panthers.  If it's OL this year, I'd be ecstatic.  I'm nervous as hell every time Cam does one of his Hoodini scrambles, even more so now with his ankle surgery.  Panthers need to get big and bad on the OL to match up with the big dogs in the NFC.  Practicing against their own ferocious pass rush should help.

BPA is beyond subjective. If you want to get technical DE (Richardson) would have been BPA in the first and I am sure another player had a better year than Short drafted after. 

The important thing to take away is Star and Richardson where grouped in that same top tier. DT was a bigger need hence why we drafted him. 

It all comes down to tiers and needs within those tiers. 

Archived