• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help with home defense

SmokinwithWilly

Since the thread regarding the old woman shooting through her door has been such a topic of debate in the TB, I thought I would try and help spread some common sense ideas for defense inside the house and I hope some of you can help give me some ideas as well for less lethal solutions. I realize I'm probably a little over the top, maybe a little paranoid, but I try to be well prepared for any situation I can imagine.

Some things I have done that I think really help me defend my family

1. When we were shopping for a new house, I looked at the house from a break and enter point of view. We passed over a few houses that weren't tactically defensible. The one we picked has a lot of corners and is not easy to access from the ground. 

2.The windows have plants in front of them that make it very painful to get through them. You can't get around them without getting torn up pretty well.

3. Inside the house, there are no straight lines through any common pathway. Furniture has been strategically placed so that in the dark, collisions are likely and there are things on these pieces that if knocked over would make a lot of noise.

4. Also, by the corners in the hallway I installed door spring bumpers as an extra noise maker. These can be easily removed if company is coming over and put back. Once you know they are there, you don't hit them

5. I have various placed various hand weapons throughout the house in every room. I did this because you never know where you will be if someone breaks into your home and you may not always have access to a gun, if you own one. I don't have kids at home and if anyone is coming over, these are locked away. 

6. I created a safe room. The door has been reinforced and access to the room has been made extremely difficult. I will be beefing this up when I build my next house. 

7. My wife and I practice drills for clearing the house (which I have had to do for real twice), moving quickly to the safe room, accessing the various stocked weapons in the home. 

8. Several 300 lumen flashlights are throughout the house. These will be upgraded as higher lumen lights become cheaper. These can effectively blind someone for 15 - 30 seconds.

9. We have some neighbors we are close to that we share walkie talkies with an alert button who may be able to help faster than a police response. 

10. My wife refused to let me do this one. I wanted to install a train horn at the front door. She said it was too over the top. She did agree to air horns stashed around the house.

I would appreciate any feedback about what of these can be improved, or any other ideas that can help keep me and my wife safe and could help prevent the use of deadly force. 

Why do I have a feeling I just read the draft script for Home Alone 4. (or would it be 5?)

Archived