• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jones to the Raiders.

FearTheCats

LOL overpaying? Keep telling yourself that. He makes just over 500,000 more per season than Ginn does on his deal, and he's making 200,000 more than Nicks is this season (that's if Nicks doesn't hit his escalators). That's not overpaid at all man...

So you feel like roughly 3 million a year is a good value considering our cap space?  What would he have done here?  Been a good option, but we're not in the business currently to pay $3ish million a season to a guy who can't be a focal point of an offense.  Jones is a good player, but a complementary player.

Someone posted else where, the cold hard football facts man rule about wide receivers as hood ornaments.  Here's an expansion:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/draft-primer-those-shiny-wide-receivers/2454/

So instead of chase every single FA WR, we really need to go back to the OL problems.  Oh God, and you'll love this, but how many times has Gettleman talked about how "Big Men help you win games."  How will Jones, Cotchery, Cooks, Benjamin, the lot, help us win when Cam doesn't have enough time? Or when they can stop our running game with 6 guys, and drop 5 into coverage?

Have any of the "no WR, sky is falling crowd" thought of how Shula ball works?  It's not Chud ball with Chunks, explosive plays, and a tired Defense.  Shula ball is GRIND the entire game.  Short passes, runs, keep that Defense fresh.  More and more, we don't need great WRs.  We don't need names.  We need big "hog mollies" who are going to wear down an opposing defense from the get go.  Until we get a new OC, this is our game plan, this is what we'll do.  

So now I will be called an apologist  Gettleman's sister, ect.  But let's be honest.  I don't care =)  I do care about the Panthers, they are my team, but I'm a fan first.  I can't evaluate players beyond, wow that was a great play and he looks a heck of a lot more athletic than I ever was.  What I can do though is make rational judgements on presented information.  Many will disagree because we haven't signed ALL the wide receivers in FA.  I'm glad we didn't.  I wish we could have gotten some OL, but we have to be very careful with our money this year.

The problem with your whole master plan is there aren't many viable options for the OL. Especially if you're talking about Left Tackle. I'll agree with you that we absolutely need new bookends on the OL, just don't see that many actual "upgrades" out there. There are however upgrades at Wide Receiver. Gettleman himself said you plug holes in FA so you can go BPA in the Draft. There is absolutely zero argument to suggest that Wide Receiver isn't one of our biggest holes. So is OL. The problem is the ship sailed on finding quality upgrades for the OL. It hasn't sailed completely on finding upgrades at WR. So tell me this, you want to pay for below average OL, or pay for above average Wide Receivers? Before you say James Jones and Hakeem Nicks aren't above average......you're wrong.

Seahawks used a 7th round DT from NCSU as their starting RG this year. The sky is falling my ass. I wonder if half of you have any clue about what you are talking about or are just so bored you have to run your mouths about bs. At least think about what you are saying before you look like a total asshat.

Oh your right, every franchise can easily do what Seattle did, have the kind of players that can obliterate the Broncos in the super bowl. Forgot how easy it was, thanks for the reminder.

Archived