• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I may stand completely alone on this...

Mr. Scot

...but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone else feel like the NFL would be better overall if the Raiders were a powerhouse again, rather than a laughingstock?

In the glory days, the Raiders were the biggest villains in the NFL. Sports drama, like a good action movie, works better when you have a strong villain that everyone can hate. If the bad guy is a doormat, there's no drama to it.

Call me crazy, but I remember the old days when the Raiders were the bad guys of the NFL. I'd actually like it if they could return to that status. And yes, with Al Davis still basically in charge, though letting others make decisions.

Today's NFL nasties are mostly thought of thusly for being arrogant pricks. Davis and the old school Raiders though? They wanted to be the bad guys. They relished the role. The more people hated them, the happier they were. No team these days takes to the role of "bad guy" quite so willingly as the old Raiders did.

Mind you, they still do, but nobody takes them seriously. They've been a doormat for so long that they're about as effective a villain as a member of the "losers brigade" in pro wrestling. So what if they're nasty? You know they're not a serious threat, and that takes all the sting out of it.

Honestly, I think that in a way, the league misses that element.

If I asked you to name the "villains" of today, what teams would you pick?

I have always liked the Raiders so I guess I've never really seen them as the bad guys. Being a former 49er fan I've always hated the cowboys. And now with Panther/cowboy rivalry they are still the bad guys of the league...to me anyways.

...but I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone else feel like the NFL would be better overall if the Raiders were a powerhouse again, rather than a laughingstock?

In the glory days, the Raiders were the biggest villains in the NFL. Sports drama, like a good action movie, works better when you have a strong villain that everyone can hate. If the bad guy is a doormat, there's no drama to it.

Call me crazy, but I remember the old days when the Raiders were the bad guys of the NFL. I'd actually like it if they could return to that status. And yes, with Al Davis still basically in charge, though letting others make decisions.

Today's NFL nasties are mostly thought of thusly for being arrogant pricks. Davis and the old school Raiders though? They wanted to be the bad guys. They relished the role. The more people hated them, the happier they were. No team these days takes to the role of "bad guy" quite so willingly as the old Raiders did.

Mind you, they still do, but nobody takes them seriously. They've been a doormat for so long that they're about as effective a villain as a member of the "losers brigade" in pro wrestling. So what if they're nasty? You know they're not a serious threat, and that takes all the sting out of it.

Honestly, I think that in a way, the league misses that element.

If I asked you to name the "villains" of today, what teams would you pick?

It wasn't long ago that the Raiders were in the Super Bowl and I don't think the NFL has been any worse for the wear since.

As far as modern day "villains," I would nominate the Ravens.

As an aside, I feel somewhat certain that Boltergeist will not stand with me on this issue :sosp:

Actually, I'd love to see the Raiders become relevant again. I love the 11 game streak and all, but I'd like to see a Charger win over Oakland that knocks the Raiders out of the playoffs. Had it been Oakland instead of Denver last year, the fanbase would've eaten it up all the more.

As for today, I think Spygate made NE the most villainous of the teams, although there's some sentiment for the Colts and Cowboys as villians.

Archived