• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interested in Brandin Cooks....

Zod

Bradin Cooks is a very good WR. please do not let his size be a knock on him because his ability is very good.  strong hands, good route running ability, very dangerous YAC, he turns into a RB after catching the ball. hard to press because of strength and speed. student of the game,  and very good technician. this guy is very explosive player, and can win in the slot and outside.

here are some screen shots of his play from Cal.

post-2367-0-52370900-1394976523_thumb.pn

here he high points the ball making a catch with his hands. his 36 inch vertical shows all the time in games.

post-2367-0-41959800-1394976653_thumb.pn

again winning at the catch point, getting up in the air to attack the ball.ball was under thrown some because he was behind the coverage, but still made the play.

post-2367-0-58469500-1394976733_thumb.pn

CB wants to press him(outside WR at the bottom of the screen), but could not because of his strength and speed. he also uses his technique on a power step outside, release to the inside, and gets vertical on his route. next pic is the end result of this play.

post-2367-0-56849900-1394977926_thumb.pn

after getting off the press, with a release to the inside, he gets vertical into his route stem and gains separation. he then widens his stem to make it more impossible for the CB to play him, and the QB puts the ball up for him. he climbs the ladder, high pointing the ball, and holds onto it thru the contact and catchup the CB showed.

again, this is one game, but he shows this ability in every game. if he is there at #28, he should and probably would be the pick.

Any average WR can replace 35yo 89. That's not my point.

There will never be another small WR who dominates like 89. He's the only guy that size who was a legit #1. Don't waste a 1st rder on a tiny WR who will be at best a slot WR.

I get your point

my question is why do we need somebody to replace all of that.  The stigma.  The whole personality.

I'm not thinking of his current state.  It's weird to me that we think we need to replace that.  If that guy did not happen to be as good as he was at times, no team in the league would put up with his garbage.  We don't need that again.

I doubt anyone would tell you what they are thinking about the draft. Its not hard to see that we need WR. I would still think that Gman will take best available, and I think we'd have to look at the CB/S guys that are still there... it seems that there is the biggest drop off once you get past the first 3-5 guys there...I think OT and WR is pretty deep. I'd love to get Shaq Evans in the 7th or as UDFA. I think Colt Lyerla may be a great steal too if hes a FA. We need weapons, lots of them. I'd love Cooks, but I'd like to have Martin (OT) there, or perhaps Gilbert/Fuller if they are around. I've seen a few other places Ebron dropping to us as well.

Please God no.

Kid has speed, hands from the looks of it, and seems to have a few routes up this sleeve.....however, there is a reason you don't draft undersized DE's (E. Brown) LT's, etc....

Size, no matter how much many of you will try to change it, does matter in the NFL.

Great. Gettleman wants to replace Smitty with a wannabe. All I have to say is IF he has Smitty's passion, work ethic and drive (aka chip on his shoulder) then he'll be a good pick. That's an astronomically huge IF though.

I will say this Blaze, he will be fortunate to have a career like Smitty but he has topped Smitty in collegiate numbers. He is more polished coming out of college than Smith too.

Archived