• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interested in Brandin Cooks....

Zod

if the o line can't block it kills the ability for separation.

super fast guys do best when a guy sits in the pocket and waits and unloads. this is the 80's Raiders.

but ya see teams defenses are pretty fast.

speed to me for a wr is a little over rated. running routes and getting open and yards after the catch are more important.

This idea that we should draft a big WR because Cam throws high is stupid, even for the Huddle. How about we take the best receiver we can and have Dorsey work with Cam to reduce the high throws. You know, his job as QB coach.

It is not because Cam throws high. Personally, I don't like Desean Jackson as my No. 1 and he is probably the best small WR in the league. I don't like small WR period as No. 1. I am sure that many who don't like Cook at No. 1 share the same feelings about small WR.

But Cam is not a QB that needs to in a Pats or Broncos type offense. IMO, he is more suited to a Saints and Bears and Cardinals type offense whereby there is a constant threat to go over the top by big, play-making WRs. And I also feel that Cam is better when he knows he can play outside the box on an occasion. Getting short, quick, shifty, that run great routes are great for some QBs, for Cam, his tendency to throw high notwithstanding, it is not.

He needs bailout WRs, bad decision erasers, and sure handed targets. Our top WR should fit this bill, and at least 1 of the next 3 WRs on the depth chart should as well. 

People will compare him to Smitty but I've heard he is a different type of player. Smitty was physical and capable of winning jump balls. Cooks is seen more as a guy that runs into space. Kind of a Desean Jackson. Not a bad player, but a different player. Not the type of guy that you can just throw it up and expect him to out muscle a DB in the air.

Guest Dark Knight

Brandin Cooks, 5'10 186

All-time list of All-Pro WR with a max body of 5'10 186:

Steve Smith, 5'9 185

Wes Welker, 5'9 185

I was too young to be upset in '01 during 1-15. I didn't care when they overpaid Delhomme. I brushed aside throwing away high picks for Armanti & Everette. I knew overpaying all those players was gonna bite the team in the ass but I stayed calm. I was able to see the big picture during the 2-14 Clausen era. I didn't understand keeping Hurney after '10 but I let it go. I trusted the team when they hung onto Rivera when times were lean. I continue to believe in Shula even when he seems dead set on turning the most dynamic player in NFL history into Trent Dilfer. I hated the way Smith was released but kept my cool because it was ultimately the right move. I haven't freaked out over the lack of offseason signings. I'm puzzled by the WR depth chart but I trust Gettleman.

But...

I swear, if this team wastes a 1st round pick to try and duplicate what there has only been one of in NFL history I will lose my mind. So help me if they draft Cooks. Steve Smith is the only WR that small in football history to be elite. That's it. I will go into rage mode if they draft a guy to try and duplicate something that will never happen again.

Teams interested in particular players rarely express it in public. It's all smokescreen. They just using Steve Smith as leverage in their misinformation war. Plus, teams picking so low have not much choices.

Guest Dark Knight

why the hell does he need to replace smith?

he is a pretty darn good player in his own right and rated much higher than smith coming out of college

Smith is G-O-N-E

End of an era? Yes. But the crying should be over by now.

Any average WR can replace 35yo 89. That's not my point.

There will never be another small WR who dominates like 89. He's the only guy that size who was a legit #1. Don't waste a 1st rder on a tiny WR who will be at best a slot WR.

Archived