• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fug a CB or any D player in the 1st.

MedellinHeel

Does the OP realize that right now our Secondary is a huge need?

BPA is the right way to go. Drafting a WR/OT just cuz we need one is a terrible idea

Does Ken realize we had a top 3 D last year with a patch work group of CBs? 

With Gross's retirement, OL is about 3 times a bigger need than secondary. 

I am not endorsing drafting anyone just cuz. If Gilbert is still on board than ok I can see that. Outside of him, the WR and OL are comparable to the CBs. If there is an OLmen you feel is an immediate starter with upside / tools to excel in the league than you draft him over a remotely comparable CB. 

If you lose 38 - 40, yes you failed to score enough points, but scoring points was not the problem. 

When judging / ranking offenses people use scoring not yards, just like on D people use scoring D not yards D. 

We were bottom half of the league in scoring. 

And doing so favors passing teams. Do you think its a coincidence SEA, SF and CAR led the NFC in wins and all 3 were near the bottom in passing yards per game.

Does Ken realize we had a top 3 D last year with a patch work group of CBs?

With Gross's retirement, OL is about 3 times a bigger need than secondary.

I am not endorsing drafting anyone just cuz. If Gilbert is still on board than ok I can see that. Outside of him, the WR and OL are comparable to the CBs. If there is an OLmen you feel is an immediate starter with upside / tools to excel in the league than you draft him over a remotely comparable CB.

During the season, everyone was complaining how our secondary sucked and was our weakness. In the playoffs we couldn't cover Boldin. The secondary needs to be upgraded. Right now we have White, Thomas, Norman, Lester. That's awful.

Just because we had a top 3 doesn't mean we stop at improving it. All good teams keep trying to keep a strength a strength.

If we get a chance at getting a top CB you do it, instead of reaching for a WR/OT.

At pick 28, I agree. It would be nice to have a guy who we could designate to play against the opposition's #1 WR but we simply won't have that luxury at the 28th spot (unless Gilbert falls, which is virtually impossible). I have no doubt we take an offensive guy with the first pick just because of how the rest of the draft will go before us and the depth at OT and WR this year. There are plenty of good (and big) corners that I think Gettleman could take in the 2nd-3rd rounds. But I guess we'll just have to see, I didn't think we'd take Short in the 2nd that's for sure

During the season, everyone was complaining how our secondary sucked and was our weakness. In the playoffs we couldn't cover Boldin. The secondary needs to be upgraded. Right now we have White, Thomas, Norman, Lester. That's awful.

Just because we had a top 3 doesn't mean we stop at improving it. All good teams keep trying to keep a strength a strength.

If we get a chance at getting a top CB you do it, instead of reaching for a WR/OT.

I was complaining about the O before the season. Hell, you got Shula promoted to OC any intelligent person is gonna complain. Dude was beyond unproven and actually stunk up the joint in TB. 

We got a few areas that need an upgrade. How ever awful our secondary is, OL is 2 times awful with the departure of Gross. 

Outside of Gilbert there is no elite CB. The rest will be in that second tier. There will def be second tier WR and OL on board at 28. 

I am not advocating reaching for anyone. 

At pick 28, I agree. It would be nice to have a guy who we could designate to play against the opposition's #1 WR but we simply won't have that luxury at the 28th spot (unless Gilbert falls, which is virtually impossible). I have no doubt we take an offensive guy with the first pick just because of how the rest of the draft will go before us and the depth at OT and WR this year. There are plenty of good (and big) corners that I think Gettleman could take in the 2nd-3rd rounds. But I guess we'll just have to see, I didn't think we'd take Short in the 2nd that's for sure

Short was the best pass rushing DT in the draft. The best shutdown CB will not be on board at 28 or in the 2nd round. 

Wanting to fix the offense does NOT over ride BPA.

There is no real BPA. It is subjective and rarely right. Why there is so many misses and surprises. Not to mention BPA is influenced by needs. 

Like I said at best you have perceived tiers ie

1st Tier - Pro Bowl Caliber

2nd Tier - Good Starter

3rd Tier - Average Starter

4th Tier - Rotational / Journey Man / Backup

5th Tier - Special Teamer

6th Tier - Practice Squad 

Unless a tier 1 guy falls to 28 there will be a tier 2 OL or WR at 28. 

Archived