• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wireless Router Help

tarheelpride

Odds are your internet connection is faster than your computer anyway.

100 mbps is the interface speed, but you ain't getting all of that. If you are getting 7-8 mbps, you are doing great.

I have a wrt54GS linksys, and its been rock solid. Good wireless signal strength, easy to configure, and best I can remember, it didn't cost much more than 50 bucks. My son plays Wii games over it, and the speed is good.

Here it is if you want to take a look at it.

We use the Linksys WRT54G at over 150 remote sites at work. Easy as hell to set up, just be sure to encrypt your wireless or your entire dorm will be using your connection. That 100mbs speed ----> it's wired and you never get exactly that even with wired; it all depends on the switches. Wireless is still slower than wired too. I use the same Linksys at home and it's supported 2 computers, 360, & Wii, no problems. Another note, the Linksys will keep it's settings even when the power goes out or blinks or you turn it off. Which is why we went with Linksys at work. Just don't press that stupid little reset button. :)

btw I never buy refurbished equipment for a network. I have to be sure it works because setting up even a small office network is a bear.

I've never bought anything but Linksys... fairly cheap, easy to setup and I've had two that have lasted for years.

This.

do you know how they hold up with online gaming?

Should be fine, depends on what you're playing as well. You may need to forward certain ports on your router for optimized gaming, p2p, torrent, etc.

is a pretty much awesome.

Should be fine, depends on what you're playing as well. You may need to forward certain ports on your router for optimized gaming, p2p, torrent, etc.

suicide @ UNC....know of people who got kicked out for doing that and others who got a warning. they're up in their panties over this kind of stuff

and i mentioned to a friend i was looking for a router and he gave me one. a free one is better than than one i have to pay for so ima go with that. a D-Link router

Archived