• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wireless Router Help

tarheelpride

I'm looking for a good, but cheap, wireless router for my dorm room. I need something with a good signal, can support 2 laptops and gaming consoles, and something easy to set up. any suggestions? ideally i don't want to go over $50, but if i can find a really good one, i could spend the money, depending on the price.

I'm looking for a good, but cheap, wireless router for my dorm room. I need something with a good signal, can support 2 laptops and gaming consoles, and something easy to set up. any suggestions? ideally i don't want to go over $50, but if i can find a really good one, i could spend the money, depending on the price.

I've never bought anything but Linksys... fairly cheap, easy to setup and I've had two that have lasted for years.

do you know how they hold up with online gaming?

I don't think any application would have an effect on the router... as long as you get one that will support the speed you need, which nowadays should be no problem at all. I haven't bought one in quite some time, but just make sure you get one that supports the type of wireless NIC you have.

Something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B00007KDVI

"G" is 54 Mbps... I doubt your internet connection is faster than that is it?

I don't think any application would have an effect on the router... as long as you get one that will support the speed you need, which nowadays should be no problem at all. I haven't bought one in quite some time, but just make sure you get one that supports the type of wireless NIC you have.

Something like this...

Excellent choice thar...

I have one of those but if you want to get some extra horsepower for Broadband, look into one of these...

Linksys-Cisco WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router

2.4 Gig, baby. I have one on my home network and it runs as fast as it can. We have multiple puders, the 360 and security.

Something like this...

i have no idea. all i know is that it's VERY fast....T1, T3? i'm not sure....i got to look that up

this is UNC internet i'm talking about....so it could be but i know damn sure it ain't DSL

Even so, I doubt you're getting more than 10Mbps connection to the net, it may be faster to the LAN and it may even be faster than that to the net, but if it's faster than 54Mbps to the net... make me a spot, you're gettin' a new roomate.

Archived