• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SB XLVIII: SEAHAWKS VS BRONCOS

CelibatePimp

there's a lot of truth to that.

Reddit has a breakdown of how each team did. Since 2000, 4 have lost the Super Bowl and 4 have missed the playoffs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1wv9kc/048_has_been_confirmed/.compact

Here is something else I noticed from your link:

1999 Passing title: Steve Beuerlein Panthers, Yards:4436, Result: Missed playoffs

I remember the 1999 season going down to the wire for the final playoff spot between the Panthers and Packers. The teams were playing in two different games simultaneously and trying to run up the score against their opponents to win the tie breaker. That was an exciting Panthers passing attack.

1999 Passing title: Steve Beuerlein Panthers, Yards:4436, Result: Missed playoffs

I remember the 1999 season going down to the wire for the final playoff spot between the Panthers and Packers. The teams were playing in two different games simultaneously and trying to run up the score against their opponents to win the tie breaker. That was an exciting Panthers passing attack.

I know that Carolina played the Saints that day, and I think that Delhomme was QB for NO. I could be wrong on the Jake part.

young moose, healthy jeffers and walls were fun to watch

for you kids, Patrick Jeffers was like Wes Welker, but with Randy Moss height. His career was cut short by an injured knee in a preseason game. Go look at his 1999 stats, then wrap your head around the fact he did that in half a season.

I know that Carolina played the Saints that day, and I think that Delhomme was QB for NO. I could be wrong on the Jake part.

You are right! (Sorry, no prize available)

New Orleans Saints 13 at Carolina Panthers 45

Sunday, January 2, 2000

1st Panthers Richie Cunningham 27 yard field goal 0 3

Panthers Muhsin Muhammad 7 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 0 10

2nd Panthers Wesley Walls 37 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 0 17

3rd Panthers Wesley Walls 15 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 0 24

Panthers Patrick Jeffers 40 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 0 31

4th Saints Eddie Kennison 3 yard pass from Jake Delhomme (Doug Brien kick) 7 31

Panthers Michael Bates 95 yard kickoff return (Richie Cunningham kick) 7 38

Panthers Patrick Jeffers 32 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 7 45

Saints Jake Delhomme 9 yard rush (pass failed)

Final Score: Panthers 45 New Orleans 13

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200001020car.htm

You are right! (Sorry, no prize available)

New Orleans Saints 13 at Carolina Panthers 45

Sunday, January 2, 2000

1st Panthers Richie Cunningham 27 yard field goal 0 3

Panthers Muhsin Muhammad 7 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 0 10

2nd Panthers Wesley Walls 37 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 0 17

3rd Panthers Wesley Walls 15 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 0 24

Panthers Patrick Jeffers 40 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 0 31

4th Saints Eddie Kennison 3 yard pass from Jake Delhomme (Doug Brien kick) 7 31

Panthers Michael Bates 95 yard kickoff return (Richie Cunningham kick) 7 38

Panthers Patrick Jeffers 32 yard pass from Steve Beuerlein (Richie Cunningham kick) 7 45

Saints Jake Delhomme 9 yard rush (pass failed)

Final Score: Panthers 45 New Orleans 13

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200001020car.htm

The Panthers entered the final week with a 7-8 record, needing a home win against the Saints and some help to clinch the last NFC playoff spot. The 7-8 Cowboys controlled their destiny, only needing to beat the Giants to get in the playoffs. If they were to lose, the spot would go to either Carolina or Green Bay. Although the Panthers had defeated the 7-8 Packers two weeks prior, due to the NFL's convoluted tiebreaker rules they needed to beat the Saints by 18 points more than the Packers were to beat the Cardinals in their game at Lambeau (assuming the Packers were to win).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Beuerlein#1999_season

Final Score: Packers 49 Arizona 24

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200001020gnb.htm

At the risk of derailing this thread even further...

Another memorable moment from the Panthers 1999 season:

In Week 14 at Green Bay, Beuerlein was the key player in one of the most memorable games - and plays - in franchise history. The Packers had not lost at Lambeau Field in December since the 1993 season, and the 5-7 Panthers desperately needed a win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Despite the below-freezing temperatures, Beuerlein was red-hot, out-dueling Brett Favre and connecting on 29 of 42 attempts, with 3 TDs and no INTs, and passing for a then franchise-record 373 yards.[59] In a seesaw battle that had seen eight lead changes, the Panthers found themselves at the Packers' 5-yard line on a 4th-and-goal play, trailing 31-26 with five seconds remaining in the game.[4] Before what was certainly to be the game's final play, Beuerlein went to the sidelines during the timeout to get the call from head coach Seifert. Seifert suggested a quarterback draw, which Beuerlein initially didn't believe and literally had backup QB Steve Bono laughing. The famously-immobile Beuerlein had all of two rushing TDs in his entire 13-year career - both coming from the one-yard line - but Seifert was serious, stating that no one would expect a Beuerlein rush with the game on the line. When Beuerlein called the play in the huddle, it elicited more laughter from his offense, followed by criticism of the call, when he told them, "Hey guys, I'm serious...do your job."[60]

Beuerlein lined the offense up in a single set back formation, sending his fullback in motion, resulting in an empty backfield and a clear passing formation. When he saw the Packers in an obvious pass defense, he took a three-step drop as he would in a pass play, and took off running through a gaping hole in the middle. Safety Rodney Artmore was the only player with a chance to stop Beuerlein, but the quarterback dove over his low tackle attempt, with Artmore's helmet smashing into Beuerlein's left knee in the process. Beuerlein landed just across the end zone line at time expired, scoring by mere inches and giving the Panthers a 33-31 victory that completely silenced the stunned Lambeau Field crowd.[60] As Beuerlein winced in "excruciating pain" from his knee, he threw his out arms in victory and let out triumphant scream as his teammates piled on him. After the season, the two-time Super-Bowl winner Seifert would say, "I have had some incredible highs in my coaching career, but I haven't experienced anything as exciting as that moment."[2] Beuerlein counts the play as his favorite NFL memory,[4] and in a 2008 interview about what became known in Carolina as "The Draw", he said that "people still ask me about that play almost every single day."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Beuerlein#1999_season

http://ht.ly/tgAOO

The Seattle Seahawks completely shut down the Denver Broncos in the first half of Super Bowl XLVIII. They held Denver to 11 yards in the first quarter, intercepted Peyton Manning twice in the half and didn’t allow any points. Richard Sherman says that’s because the Seahawks figured out Manning’s hand signals and audibles...

Doh!

Archived