• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

28th Pick in May

DaveThePanther2008

This discussion I was hoping to be in about 3 weeks but it is upon us.

For the past 5 or 6 years I haven't followed college football anywhere near enough to guess at who we might choose.

About the only name I know for certain who I would love to see is Sammy Watkins but that is only because his name has surfaced here.

Our needs are WR, OT, CB

So my question is?

Who should our targets be.  Watkins is most likely gone by 28.  So who would be a good target and why?

OT. Assuming Amini comes back and progresses and Gross comes back and moves to the right side, wed have a very nice, well balanced line. The fun side of me wants to say WR but I don't think we any of the two Id want are there at 28. CB is a need.. a serious one as well. Whether we patch it up through FA or hope that Norman finally gets it.. or address it late.. we need need need to address the CB.

Don't WANT to say this, but, if we lose Hardy... id dip into DE early on. No team in the NFL is perfect, we've a lot of talent in a lot of places... to only really need 3-4 positions is a luxury.

OT. Assuming Amini comes back and progresses and Gross comes back and moves to the right side, wed have a very nice, well balanced line. The fun side of me wants to say WR but I don't think we any of the two Id want are there at 28. CB is a need.. a serious one as well. Whether we patch it up through FA or hope that Norman finally gets it.. or address it late.. we need need need to address the CB.

Don't WANT to say this, but, if we lose Hardy... id dip into DE early on. No team in the NFL is perfect, we've a lot of talent in a lot of places... to only really need 3-4 positions is a luxury.

I guess that I have more faith in Alexander, Addison and Horton than most, but I am figuring that one of these guys will step up to the plate and fill the void if hardy is gone.

This discussion I was hoping to be in about 3 weeks but it is upon us.

For the past 5 or 6 years I haven't followed college football anywhere near enough to guess at who we might choose.

About the only name I know for certain who I would love to see is Sammy Watkins but that is only because his name has surfaced here.

Our needs are WR, OT, CB

So my question is?

Who should our targets be.  Watkins is most likely gone by 28.  So who would be a good target and why?

I keep on repeating this because i think it's apropos to the situation:

Watkins will more than likely be gone by the time that we draft. The thing is...that I can't even say that Watkins will end up being the best WR in what is reportedly a deep draft class. Moreover, I believe that G-man will take the BPA.  Now of course a WR could end up being the BPA, but there's a lot of time between now and May, so we'll see how it all falls into place. That being said, I wouldn't mind taking a WR or two in this draft, and I believe that the only ones who could possibly be taken in the first round depending on the Combine and workouts (in no particular order) are Watkins, Mike Evans, Brandon Coleman, Kevin Benjamin, Marquise Lee, perhaps Jordan Matthews, and Jaelen Strong if he actually declares.  These are the names you should be keeping an eye on IMO (and not just for the first round).  

The best WR out of this past season's draft so far was a third rounder. Even the 29th pick in last year's draft could end up eventually being the best WR of his draft class. No need to reach or think that we can't get someone talented after round 1.

Another potentially talented WR to keep an eye on is Chris Boyd who got axed from Vandy for being an accessory after the fact to the raping of an unconscious girl by four of his teammates, but knowing how we roll he may not be a realistic option even in the later rounds where he'll probably go if he's not totally blackballed. 

I think our depth at DE is good. Even if we lose Hardy.  Addison and Alexander plus we have Roh on the roster.

Remember Hardy was a backup when he got here.  Addison has shown he can get to the QB too.

Amini is a guard.   I would hope that round 2 we could nab a good OT.  Either that or get a top name one from free agency.

CB I think will be address through Free Agency unless someone falls into our lap.  Round three players are marginal starters.

I keep on repeating this because i think it's apropos to the situation:

Watkins will more than likely be gone by the time that we draft. The thing is...that I can't even say that Watkins will end up being the best WR in what is reportedly a deep draft class. Moreover, I believe that G-man will take the BPA.  Now of course a WR could end up being the BPA, but there's a lot of time between now and may, so we'll see how it all falls into place. That being said, I wouldn't mind taking a WR or two in this draft, and I believe that the only ones who could possibly be taken in the first round depending on the Combine and workouts (in no particular order) are Watkins, Mike Evans, Brandon Coleman, Kevin Benjamin, Marquise Lee, perhaps Jordan Matthews, and Jaelen Strong if he actually declares.  These are the names you should be keeping an eye on IMO (and not just for the first round).  

The best WR out of this past season's draft so far was a third rounder. Even the 29th pick in last year's draft could end up eventually being the best WR of his draft class. No need to reach or think that we can't get someone talented after round 1.

Another potentially talented WR to keep an eye on is Chris Boyd who got axed from Vandy for being an accessory after the fact to the raping of an unconscious girl by four of his teammates, but knowing how we roll he may not be a realistic option even in the later rounds where he'll probably go if he's not totally blackballed. 

Good names to jump off and on bandwagons.  I am hoping G-man lands a stud WR like he did with Klein in the later rounds.

Archived