• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will our defense be subject to the counter?

PhillyB

This will be a non issue....every NFL defense pretty much has speed and fly's to the ball...Meeks new defense is a cov 2 defense with 7 guys in the box, as long as the linebackers have good reads and footwork they will make that play...if it did start hurting us in a particular game then we just run some kind of 8 man front with the safety in the box which will then leave us more vulnerable against the pass...but we do have a good secondary so that would be a good option.

Thanks Dan....your perspective on this is definitely appreciated and respected.

Also...thanks for spending lunch sitting with my buddy and I last Wednesday. We really appreciated your time and great conversation.

I agree the Wildcat offense will only be susceptible to those that are not preparing for this offense. I think the Wildcat would be very succsesful against the Miami Dolphins. They spend so much time practicing it, where as I am guessing they never practice defending against the Wildcat.

The defense is the group who the offense practices these plays against. I'm rather sure they see the wild cat often... New plays will be tried in TC and reg season during practice...

The bobcat is a success with the right personnel. Remember when we ran all over some teams with DWill in the wildcat? He is the exact type of player who has success with that formation.

I'd like to see Steve Smith try it. That would scare the hell out of a DC.

This will be a non issue....every NFL defense pretty much has speed and fly's to the ball...Meeks new defense is a cov 2 defense with 7 guys in the box, as long as the linebackers have good reads and footwork they will make that play...if it did start hurting us in a particular game then we just run some kind of 8 man front with the safety in the box which will then leave us more vulnerable against the pass...but we do have a good secondary so that would be a good option.

Man, this is cool. Having a real live NFL line backer sharing his thoughts on defensive schemes, can't be any better than that. And one of the best in the business when healthy makes it all the bette, I love this place...

I think with the speed we have at the end position could make up for bad ball detection if teams run it, along with Beason and Davis, Diggs might be a liability in the speed department, but a defense that focuses on going to the ball is usually going to have good ball detection, vision, awareness, etc. We have a pretty quick defense, Beason doesn't get fooled much either. I think we'll be fine.

1st I'd heard of this from anyone... Guess you haven't been to other boards...

well, I don't see this everywhere. But if people want to read one line of substance and the space of three posts' worth of a picture, maybe one day they'll find a way to color pictures on the internet. :thumbsup:

With the things I've been reading about Meeks and Baker, they should be more disciplined than last year, but I'm anxious to see it on the field.

I agree with Mr. Scot about the secondary though. I really like Marshall in run support, so they should be improved on the back end, at least.

they might have better technique but I don't see them having more responsibility at end, I expect them to have less - more outside lanes, more freedom.

Of course that doesn't keep the ends from still playing good technique, and good technique includes staying at home - not getting sucked down on the run or boot.

My thoughts are the same..

i think playing agaist deanglo they will be prepared for cutback runners...

Oh yeah. What do you know about defense? :sosp:

I'm joking. Please don't kill me :(

(watch me wind up cooked in a coal-fired oven and fed to the Big Uglys) :eek:

they might have better technique but I don't see them having more responsibility at end, I expect them to have less - more outside lanes, more freedom.

Of course that doesn't keep the ends from still playing good technique, and good technique includes staying at home - not getting sucked down on the run or boot.

If Freeney and Mathis are any clue...

The scheme is on Meeks. Discipline and technique are up to Baker. If it meshes as it should, all will be right with the world.

rep+ cant argue with someone who's been on the battlefield!!!!!!!!!!!

The Colts had a good defense and some good players. IMO we have better players and should have an even better defense. The Key will be Harris. Just like Bob Sanders was a key for the Colts. I think of all the safeties we have Harris is very well suited for the same role as Bob Sanders.

Our DL has the talent with Kemo and Lewis but depth is my only Major concern. If we can get some depth even if it comes from Brayton I think we will be OK.

I look for Harris to have a huge year and be a Pro Bowler (He should have been both years he was with us anyhow)

Go Panthers

Archived