• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brown signs!!

CAPantherFan

Not to sound like Gman, but i really dont like the brown pick. undersized DE's tend to not do that well, i prefer big guys at DE. For every freeney, there is a peppers, osi, allen, strahan, and more.

i hope im wrong

On who he spoke with from the Panthers last Sunday: I talked to (college scout) Mike (Szabo). He said in the eight years he's been there he hasn't seen a guy like me with my package that I bring to the table. They were high on me and, hopefully, they could get me. After the conversation I was optimistic about it, but I still had some doubt because of where Carolina was on the draft board. For them to come up and get me and for everything to work out here in my favor and their favor was the best thing that could happen.

with our current scouting dept..doing so well i think thats a great complement.no need to worry if they feel like that.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/everette-brown-qa/3ac26014-e6cb-436f-b7af-16aa3567eaee

The one thing that I've heard from Florida State fans is that Brown plays his heart out every play. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in preseason and even more curious to see what the starting rotation will be. I like all of our DE's, especially Johnson, Peppers is a gimme. Maybe we can will move them around and get a solid, consistent pass rush.

And now people see the logic of trading first round picks. 4 years for a total of 4.3 million are you kidding me?? This guy could be our starting defensive end in 2 years and we have him for 4 million bucks. A DE pick in the mid twenties which is where we would have been last year (and hopefully later this year) would have made about 12-13 million bucks.

First round talent for second round money...gotta love that. Lets hope he outperforms this contract and we're "forced" to pay the man...after his third year, naturally.

Sorry I know some are being wishful, but he is what he is, he's a 2nd round talent that we are paying second round money.

Now I hope he turns out to be great but he fell to the second round for a reason.

Sorry I know some are being wishful, but he is what he is, he's a 2nd round talent that we are paying second round money.

Now I hope he turns out to be great but he fell to the second round for a reason.

That is hugely incorrect. He is second round talent purely by scheme. Around 4 or 5 teams converted to the 3-4 this season and it left a lot of players like Brown well down the wish list.

What you will see in the coming few years is the resurgence of the 4-3 or other similar base defences. The sudden surge to the 3-4 will drain the 'pool' of players that are capable of playing it and allow teams that follow the traditional 4-3 D, to pick uup the players that better suit it. In fact, the reason teams are doing so well with the 3-4, is because only a few teams originally employed it, allowing them the pick of the bunch of players that suited the scheme. Now it's a different kettle of fish. It's swings and roundabouts and a players worth in the NFL draft, is purely a reflection of the dominant schemes in the NFL at that specific time.

Brown was a first round player. His RECORD showed that. Players were picked above him because they simply suited teams scheme better. Do not be fooled into thinking that where a player is picked, is where their talent level resides.

Not to sound like Gman, but i really dont like the brown pick. undersized DE's tend to not do that well, i prefer big guys at DE. For every freeney, there is a peppers, osi, allen, strahan, and more.

i hope im wrong

Second round talents turn out to be studs all the time. Unless you are going after certain positions like QB or OT (IMO the two most important positions) you can get really good production in the 2nd.

And according to a lot of scouts Brown was a top level talent:

Bills scout:

Said Heinlen: “Everette is an extreme athlete for the position, explosive off the edge, a little undersized obviously."

Mock draft site:

He could project to a 4-3 scheme as a regular defensive end, particularly in a Cover 2 type system where he can focus on rushing the passer, but definitely projects well to a 3-4 OLB position, with his ability to get after the QB and play well in space.

This is an opinion by Tomahawk Nation (who saw him more than FSU fans?)

"We've debated this for a while now and there isn't a concrete answer, but I believe Brown is the best defensive end FSU has ever had. Better than Peter Boulware, Wilson, and Wadsworth. I believe this because Brown had to face much better competition, both in talent level and in scheme. Early 90's college passing attacks simply did not know how to handle the speed rush. Elite college rushers now must have a variety of skills. Brown has those skills."

Brown is the 2nd coming of Demarcus Ware

Coming out of school, Ware was 6'5 251, running a 4.59. Brown is 6'4, 255, running a 4.55 or 4.60 (depending on who is timing). Brown is a better player now than Ware was coming out of school. Here is ESPN's take on Ware as a draft prospect back in 2004

I mean other than his size there is not anything to knock about Brown. He has a work ethic that was repeatedly praised by the FSU staff. He has ridiculous athleticism (as noted by a professional scout). He was the best DE in FSU history according to an FSU fan site. He is being compared to Demarcus Ware. We are playing a cover 2 system guys. We are going for pressure on the QB and allowing our DBs to make tackles on the RBs. That is going to put more pressure on our DTs to clog the middle so that guys can run around. Don't be surprised if Pep eclipses 15-16 sacks this year and goes for something ridiculous like 18. That is what DEs in a cover 2 are supposed to do and I think Brown will end up being one of the best in the league at it.

Second round talents turn out to be studs all the time. Unless you are going after certain positions like QB or OT (IMO the two most important positions) you can get really good production in the 2nd.

And according to a lot of scouts Brown was a top level talent:

Bills scout:

Said Heinlen: “Everette is an extreme athlete for the position, explosive off the edge, a little undersized obviously."

Mock draft site:

He could project to a 4-3 scheme as a regular defensive end, particularly in a Cover 2 type system where he can focus on rushing the passer, but definitely projects well to a 3-4 OLB position, with his ability to get after the QB and play well in space.

This is an opinion by Tomahawk Nation (who saw him more than FSU fans?)

"We've debated this for a while now and there isn't a concrete answer, but I believe Brown is the best defensive end FSU has ever had. Better than Peter Boulware, Wilson, and Wadsworth. I believe this because Brown had to face much better competition, both in talent level and in scheme. Early 90's college passing attacks simply did not know how to handle the speed rush. Elite college rushers now must have a variety of skills. Brown has those skills."

Brown is the 2nd coming of Demarcus Ware

Coming out of school, Ware was 6'5 251, running a 4.59. Brown is 6'4, 255, running a 4.55 or 4.60 (depending on who is timing). Brown is a better player now than Ware was coming out of school. Here is ESPN's take on Ware as a draft prospect back in 2004

I mean other than his size there is not anything to knock about Brown. He has a work ethic that was repeatedly praised by the FSU staff. He has ridiculous athleticism (as noted by a professional scout). He was the best DE in FSU history according to an FSU fan site. He is being compared to Demarcus Ware. We are playing a cover 2 system guys. We are going for pressure on the QB and allowing our DBs to make tackles on the RBs. That is going to put more pressure on our DTs to clog the middle so that guys can run around. Don't be surprised if Pep eclipses 15-16 sacks this year and goes for something ridiculous like 18. That is what DEs in a cover 2 are supposed to do and I think Brown will end up being one of the best in the league at it.

that write up is super old..they still have him at 6,4...lol

but i rem mayock had him as a 2nd round guy..

the fact is diff teams have diff values on players we had a 1st round grade on brown..and he fell to the 2nd good for us..

i hope im wrong

You mean Umenyiora who is 261?

Or

Strahan at 255

The fact is en todays NFL there are a tendency to use "smallish" DE who can rush the passer since the league is a throw first league.

Just look at the top 10 in sacks last year:

John Abraham - 263 (252)

Jared Allen - 270 (265)

Julius Peppers - 283 (285)

Justin Tuck - 274 (265)

Mario Williams - 288 (295)

Robert Mathis - 245 (235)

Dwight Freeney - 268 (266)

Darren Howard - 260 (281)

Aaron Kampman - 260 (260)

Brown is 256

Could he gain about 5 more in pure muscle he is there with many of the other top rushers in the league. I think size is overrated since more and more teams throw more and more. And the fact is he has the size for our new scheme.

Most, but not all (Mayock) had him rated as the best DE in the draft and gave him a first round grade. As with any draft pick there is a potential for greatness, or bustness. I am just crossing my fingers it's the former. :thumbsup:

Archived