• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FoxSports: Positional Power Rankings

Liminy

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9848856/Positional-Power-Rankings:-OL-packages

Carolina ranked #2 under NYG

Carolina's offensive line was outstanding last year, paving the way for a franchise-record 2,437 rushing yards and 30 rushing touchdowns. They allowed only 20 sacks. The good news is the Panthers signed Gross to a long-term contract extension, assuring the Panthers will have all five starters back from last year's team as well as all 11 starters on offense overall. Otah looks like a great young player, as does Kalil. Wharton is a little overpaid, but still very effective. The bad news is Gross' contract extension and the decision to franchise Julius Peppers took up most of the available salary cap space. That meant the Panthers weren't able to re-sign guard/center Geoff Hangartner and tackle Frank Omiyale and had to cut Jeremy Bridges. That means they have no experienced backups. Bernadeau and Schwartz were both seventh-round picks in 2008 but didn't play. The team drafted Robinson this year and signed a host of undrafted rookie free agents.

Is it weird if I have never heard of any of the Giants O'line before really? I think the Patriots line is under rated being #8 and the Bengals having a better line than the Browns. Alex Mack will really help improve their running game. I was surprised they didn't use one of their picks on a RB early on. Lewis was horrible last year which may be due to the line or his lack of explosion or both. They only have Harrison who looked descent at times last year behind Lewis.

I'm surprised though we were ranked #2 due to our lack of quality depth. Our starting guys are definitely high quality players but not much hope behind them except Dukey.

For all the talk everyone was in a panic this last year when the untested Omiyale was to start at T. Hangman was only respected because he got some reps the year before. Bridges too.

Hell, most of us were unsure of Gross starting at LT.

Sure we struck gold once and it's hard to hope for the same again, but if the same FO was happy with last year's crop (Duke wasn't taken till he was Grand Larceny worthy in the 5th), I don't see reason for outright panic just yet.

I could care less honestly what rank carolina is as long as the running game keeps going where it's heading. I could see our ranking moving to #1 once our rb's start stiff-arming and running over anyone and everyone. SB 2010, word...

For all the talk everyone was in a panic this last year when the untested Omiyale was to start at T. Hangman was only respected because he got some reps the year before. Bridges too.

Hell, most of us were unsure of Gross starting at LT.

Sure we struck gold once and it's hard to hope for the same again, but if the same FO was happy with last year's crop (Duke wasn't taken till he was Grand Larceny worthy in the 5th), I don't see reason for outright panic just yet.

I think our o-line coach is one of the best in the business. He seems to get the talent we have and get them up to speed in a hurry. I hear Kalil and Gross worked out with Schwartz and they seem to think he will be fine. I truly don't think we would have let Hangman and Frank O get away if they weren't confident that both of these guys could step up.

Frank O was LT as is Schwartz and Berndeau is a center/guard like Hangman. So these guys need to step up and be ready. I think we will do fine with them and the rookies.

Go Panthers

I think the Chargers should be a little higher than 22nd.

Not much higher, IMO ... we're breaking in a new RG (Forney/Vasquez) and we still have turnstile Clary at RT. 17-18 would sound about right.

Baltimore at 7 seems like a serious underrating .... with the exception of Birk, that's a line that could be together for a long time.

Archived