• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

why did we talk to losman?

scpanther22

i wonder why...i thought the FO was fine with mccown and moore.

it makes me wonder how secure Mccowns job is next summer when his contract is up.

this is from today losman is now apart of the UFL..and said he was in talks with the panthers.

An unrestricted free agent, Losman had discussions with Denver and Carolina this past offseason, but the Broncos signed Chris Simms instead, while the Panthers decided to stand pat. With Las Vegas, Losman will be arguably the face of a league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4346612&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

1st rounder without 1st round price tag, we're always doing that. They are definatley looking for a QB to groom to replace Jake in a year or two.

I think McCown or Losman were needed to keep us in playoff contention should Jake go down. Moore is good but he didn't really have enough experience to keep the FO happy I'm sure.

1st rounder without 1st round price tag, we're always doing that. They are definatley looking for a QB to groom to replace Jake in a year or two.

I think McCown or Losman were needed to keep us in playoff contention should Jake go down. Moore is good but he didn't really have enough experience to keep the FO happy I'm sure.

but remember that before moore went down he was going to the #2..

Why did we talk to Losman?

We didn't: Inside the Panthers

The only source that ever said we had was a Bills blogger. Chandler checked it out and found it was bogus.

The report that we had was apparently a result of his agent trying to make the Broncos think they had a competitor for his services. Common negotiating tactic, but it failed here.

It's possible the agent may have called the Panthers only to be told "no thanks", but that doesn't stop him from telling another team "they're interested".

but remember that before moore went down he was going to the #2..

I didn't remember him getting injured, thanks for the memory boost.

Or at least i didn't think signing mccown had to do with necessity, i thought we were just looking for another QB.

I like moore a lot but i thought the FO had cooled on the thought of him so they went after mccown.

I didn't remember him getting injured, thanks for the memory boost.

Or at least i didn't think signing mccown had to do with necessity, i thought we were just looking for another QB.

I like moore a lot but i thought the FO had cooled on the thought of him so they went after mccown.

They'd been trying to get McCown since before Moore even got here.

1st rounder, big arm, mobile, tough, starting experience, at that point Delhomme wasn't locked up long term, McCown's contract and age likewise and Moore is still relatively unknown.

Losman had a bad run of luck Jauron hated his guts and never gave him a proper chance and even when he did start he was lacking weapons, protection and field position a lot of the time.

Losman was in one of the worst situations in the NFL and never got the support he needed. I hope he does well in the UFL. I thought Minnesota was a possibility, or denver, guess not.

Next year is going to be a great year for the QB class coming out with a good amount of elite qb's and a good amount of mid-tier qbs. Mccown will def. be gone, or someone at least (Delhomme retirement?)

Losman was in a bad situation and I thought for a time he actually had a set of like 4 good games the year before last. He probably is just not a good QB though, and Tulane qbs never have been good.

Next year is going to be a great year for the QB class coming out with a good amount of elite qb's and a good amount of mid-tier qbs. Mccown will def. be gone, or someone at least (Delhomme retirement?)

Losman was in a bad situation and I thought for a time he actually had a set of like 4 good games the year before last. He probably is just not a good QB though, and Tulane qbs never have been good.

I doubt very seriously that Delhomme is out next year with the contract we gave him. We couldn't handle the cap hit on the guaranteed money after just one year. He's here to stay for several years...

why does everybody keep saying that...could someone give me a list of these so called great QB class..because even if it is. how can we get one with a low 2nd round pick.

why does everybody keep saying that...could someone give me a list of these so called great QB class..because even if it is. how can we get one with a low 2nd round pick.

lots of good choices that could work out here depending on the way the offense was going to go.

i posted this list a couple times around the draft:

guys with a * may wait until 2011 but could easily come out next year. draft projections are from WalterFootball.com

Sam Bradford*, Oklahoma

Height: 6-4. Weight: 214.

Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

Projected Round (2010): Top 3 Pick.

Stats from last year

Passing Att:483, Comp:328, Comp% 67.9, yards:4720, TDs:50, Ints:8 Rating:180.84

I'll just leave it at that.

The Golden Calf of Bristol, Florida

Height: 6-3. Weight: 235.

Projected 40 Time: 4.52.

Projected Round (2010): 1-2.

He'll try to prove in 2009 year why he should be one of the top QBs drafted and that he deserves to play the QB position....much in the same way that Pat White did (or tried to do).

Colt McCoy, Texas

Height: 6-3. Weight: 205.

Projected 40 Time: 4.69.

Projected Round (2010): 1-2.

Incredible guy and QB. Easily one of the top 2 or 3 QBs taken next year.

2008 stats

Passing Att:433, Comp:332, Comp%:76.7, Yards:3859 (highest in NCAA last year), TDs:34, INTs:8, Rating:173.75 (3rd highest last year)

Rushing Att:136, Yards:561, TDs:11

Daryll Clark, Penn State

Height: 6-2. Weight: 231.

Projected 40 Time: 4.65.

Projected Round (2010): 5.

Great leadership qualities. Type that carries the team on his shoulders and takes responsibility for losses. Dual-threat quarterback.

stats from last year:

Att:321, Comp:192, Pct:59.8, Yds:2,592, TD:19, Int:6, Rating:143.4

Rushing...Att:79, Yds:282, TD:10

Tony Pike, Cincinnati

Height: 6-6. Weight: 225.

Projected 40 Time: 4.81.

Projected Round (2010): 5-6.

He's a big mobile guy who, even though he missed 3 games last year because of a broken arm, threw over 2400 yards and 19 TDs and 11 INTs. Team is going to be using the no huddle a lot next year. Worth watching.

Jevan Snead*, Ole Miss

Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.66.

Projected Round (2010): Top 25 Pick.

Had a pretty good year last year..nothing stellar. He was new to the team and system and lacked confidence the first half but picked up speed the second half. Towards the end became much more confident in his understanding of the plays and his ability to read defenses. He also gained in and the confidence of the players around him. He is smart and is going to be used next year to call a lot of his own plays or change plays as he sees fit. One to watch next year for sure.

Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State

Height: 6-3. Weight: 210.

Projected 40 Time: 4.62.

Projected Round (2010): 3

what they said about him going into last year:

the result:

Passing Att:314, Comp:204,Comp%: 65.0, yards:3064, TDs:25, Ints:10, rating:166.84

Rushing Att:146, yards: 562, TDs:8

Dan LeFevour*, Central Michigan

Height: 6-3. Weight: 226.

Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

Projected Round (2010): 4.

Good passer and good runner. Known for wearing out defenses because you never know what he is going to do and is good enough at everything that you have to respect every part of his game.

Career stats 2006-2008

Passing Att:1307, Comp:853, Comp%:65.3, Yards:9,467, TDs:74, Ints:29, Rating: 140.4

Rushing: Att:488, Yards:2,235, TDs:32

Pat Devlin*, Delaware

Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.

Projected 40 Time: 4.74.

Projected Round (2010): 2.

More a curiosity than anything because of the guys big arm. Was playing behind Daryll Clark at PSU and was set to take over in 2009 but Clark got another year of eligibility so Devlin went to Delaware. We'll see how he does there.

Tim Hiller, Western Michigan

Height: 6-5. Weight: 228.

Projected 40 Time: 4.94.

Projected Round (2010): 2-3

Last year blew up. averaged 293 yards per game. Threw 36 TDs but only 10 Ints. Almost 4000 yards. 64.9 comp%.

Jake Locker*, Washington

Height: 6-3. Weight: 223.

Projected 40 Time: 4.59.

Projected Round (2010): 4-5.

He missed a lot of games last year because of a broken thumb. he was the starter his freshman year and had no talent around him so his stats weren't great but he was named ncaa freshman of the year. he'll be a junior next year and has a much better coach. worth watching. btw...highlights as a freshman:

Juice Williams, Illinois

Height: 6-2. Weight: 233.

Projected 40 Time: 4.67.

Projected Round (2010): 4-5.

Has potential. Offense next year is probably going to be pretty pass happy, we'll see how he does. Most definitely will be a pro and good at what ever position he plays. Next year will decide if that will be QB or not.

Archived