• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How would you guys like to trade Quarterbacks

Thrasher

Campbell might be worth the trade because he is younger. He is inexperienced, has no playoff experience, get sacks alot (38 times in 2008 but it could be the line). He throws a decent long ball but doesn't have good touch on the short ones. His third down completion percentage on third and less than six is 49%. When it third and very long he is actually much better (68%).

He isn't good coming from behind and his fourth quarter completion percentage is fully 8% points below his 3rd quarter. His lowest completion percentage is when it is late and close.

He could learn the offense and fit in. It would help if he were cheap.

Kinda not really.

In a team with the philosophy the Panthers have the absolute best QB for the system would be one who can make good decisions in the pocket, and protect the ball so he can make the plays to complement the running game and a dominant defense. Jake is more of a risktaker.

Campbell accounted for only 7 turnovers the entire 2008 season and dropped back less than only 9 other QBs.

Sorry. Dead wrong. A "game manager" type QB would make this offense stale.

If there was no big play passing threat, teams could routinely stack against the run and not have to worry about a big pass play. Because the team has a legit threat of that in Delhomme to Smith, stacking the box is an "at your own risk" proposition.

And to be clear that this isn't just theory, this approach has already been tried in Panther land. Henning tried going that route with Delhomme in early 2005, and the result was a stagnant attack. Only after they started to let fly a little bit did things get going again.

For that matter, go past Delhomme. All three of the QBs in the Panthers current stable have the "gunslinger" style. I'd say that makes it pretty clear that Fox understands what he wants and needs under center.

The Panthers not having one single "game manager" type on the three deep roster is no accident.

As to the original question, I'd have to say I'm not sure.

Youth, upside and athleticism are in Campbell's favor, but I'm not convinced he's a true leader and winner at the QB position. I haven't seen anything in him that would make me think "that's the guy I want to put my Super Bowl hopes on". Is he miscast in the west coast system? Maybe, but it might not just be the system.

I'd have to see more from Campbell to answer a definitive "yes" or "no".

Well I disagree. You can have a QB that doesn't make the risky throws however still has deep passing capability. Game manager isn't what I had in mind when I was describing it, and anyway that type of terminology is applied more often because of the system the QB plays in rather than the QB itself.

And anyway, deep passing is only one dimension of the passing offense, even ours. For example, Jake only threw the rock 30+ yards 26 times, ...out of 414 in 2008. That's somewhere between 5-7% of his throws, I don't feel like doing the math right now. Considering the short passing game, 1-10 yard throws account for nearly 45% of his total throws alone.

Jason Campbell made even less of those throws but the WC doesn't allow for that type of game. The kid has a strong arm on his side and solid accuracy downfield however.

Jason Campbell is all "potential". He has never actually shown he can play the position as well as Jake can. Now regardless of how good you think Delhomme is....Jason hasn't done squat in comparison.

Archived