• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bengals Punter Has His Jaw Broken

chknwing

This is the kind of poo that makes me want to see a reciprocity type of policy in the NFL.

You sideline a player with a dirty hit and you have to sit on the active roster for the duration of the injured players absence.

Yep.

They're out as long as they are out (max full season).

Maybe even make the penalty fines go to the injured on top of it. 

But I'd love to see embellishment penalties too...like hockey. 

One of the differences in football and rugby though is in football distance is more valuable than possession. Football is indeed a game of inches therefore football players need to create impacts that stop forward momentum. IN rugby it is all about maintaining possession. I did not mind tackling someone and having them fall forward (advantage Panthro) or if I was about to be tackled I was more concerned with setting up my team to maintain possession vs fighting to gain a few extra feet.

I really don't see anything dirty about that block - his head is up at the moment of contact and he's putting his shoulder into the punter's chest. The natural follow through makes it look like he's going for the guy's head, but he's clearly not. For safety reasons he could nave tucked and turned his own head rugby style, and perhaps that's the next step in the evolution of these types of rules.

Very unfortunate outcome for the punter though. Never want to see someone get injured like that, and I hope he recovers quickly.

A logical concept, and in order to do this they would have to do away with all other rigid pads in their current form as well, especially shoulder pads. Football itself would come to look a lot like a different style of rugby, for better or for worse.

Archived