• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the bye week be a bad thing?

neverlosethefeeling

When did it become a secret that NFL teams have had issues with getting beaten at home after a first round playoff bye?

Guess I will take that as a no on your link. Shame.

It's not more common than those teams with the bye winning is my point.

Guess we will assume you're cheering for the Saints this weekend since you haven't answered. That's a huge shame.

This thread: Definition of overthinking it. An auto advance to Round 2, needing only 1 home win to make the NFC CG, with a bye week for a team that hasn't had one since Week 3 or 4 OR playing Round 1 on the road (depriving fans of a home game), needing 2 games to make the NFC CG all on the road?

You left out that we would have to lose again to get the latter.

So, because Jake had the worst game of his entire life and threw the game away to the Cardinals years ago, we're now afraid of a playoff bye week.  This roster, coaching staff, and entire organization is so different from way back then that I don't even see why that game is so much as being mentioned in this conversation.

No football coach ever would rather have to play a game to get to the second round of the playoffs over being there automatically and knowing he was going to have home field advantage.

If it's so different then why haven't they been able to win one coming off a bye in 3 tries?

Its possible that Seattle could lose their first playoff game (just like we could).  Id rather have the #2 seed so that we have the potential for home field in the championship game if Seattle were to lose, than to have a wildcard spot, have no home games, have three road games, probably have to face NO in the Superdome and then (if we win) go on the road to Seattle.

It's not more common than those teams with the bye winning is my point.

Guess we will assume you're cheering for the Saints this weekend since you haven't answered. That's a huge shame.

I never said it was more common than that. I said it has been an issue for some teams in general. 

Not sure how questioning my fan hood, or accusing me of rooting for the Saints (lol, me of all people) has anything to do with this discussion.

I never said it was more common than that. I said it has been an issue for some teams in general.

Not sure how questioning my fan hood, or accusing me of rooting for the Saints (lol, me of all people) has anything to do with this discussion.

If you honestly think being a WC team is the best position for the Panthers in the playoff then we need to lose a game. If you want them to win aren't you cheering for them to be in a worse playoff spot (in your opinion?)

This thread: Definition of overthinking it. An auto advance to Round 2, needing only 1 home win to make the NFC CG, with a bye week for a team that hasn't had one since Week 3 or 4 OR playing Round 1 on the road (depriving fans of a home game), needing 2 games to make the NFC CG all on the road?

For the record, I like our chances against any of the teams we could possibly face during Wildcard weekend if that's what it comes down to. But Saints at home and Seattle at home do both worry me.

The final answer to the OP...yes, the bye week "could" be a bad thing if we come out uninspired and lose.

Otherwise "it is what it is".  If we are the 2nd seed in the NFC, great.  If we are the 5th seed, great.  If we are the 6th seed, fugging great.  Let's just take it one game at a time.

If you honestly think being a WC team is the best position for the Panthers in the playoff then we need to lose a game. If you want them to win aren't you cheering for them to be in a worse playoff spot (in your opinion?)

Never said any of that. Perhaps you could stick to the facts, instead of putting words in my mouth?

The good teams that win championships win the games that they have to win, wherever, and whenever they are played. Do you think the players just sit around whining that they have to play a team on the road? If they did, we wouldn't be winning many games.

I want the Panthers to win wherever they are, but I'm not going to throw up the white flag just because they may not get to play at home.

Archived