• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could the bye week be a bad thing?

neverlosethefeeling

It seems to be universally accepted that the Panthers landing the number 2 overall seed would be a great thing. The home field advantage I'm all for. It'd be great to have a playoff game in Charlotte because the city really gets behind the team when we're in those positions. I can't be the only one though who might be slightly worried about the effect a bye week might have on a team. They say the championship teams are playing their best ball at this time of year and we'll know where the Panthers stand in that regard on Sunday. But I know this team does not have a history of performing well coming off of a bye and more importantly, when you're rolling, why would you want to take a week off and risk coming out "rusty?" The playoffs are not the time to be rusty.

Granted, byes have their distinct advantages. Notably, giving players time to get healthy, giving coaches more time to gameplan and ensuring at least an appearance in the divisional round, a necessary achievement if we hope to reach the SB.

Just curious where everyone falls on this issue.

I agree. 6-1 at home this season. Have to think Rivera and Co would not flop at home in the playoffs.

I sure hope so. And this is a good point. We've been able to protect our house this year and that's what I think makes this argument an interesting one. We're historically bad coming off of byes, but could home field be enough to override that?

Someone is forgetting a certain season........

I didnt know Rivera coached the team back then? So no, he's not forgetting it, theres just absolutely no point in bringing it up. It has less than zero effect towards this current season.

Home field advantage is > than the "curse of the bye"

we all know how 2008 ended...

As for OP, yes, I would rather play Eagles/Cowboys/Bears/Lions in Wildcard and gain a huge momentum to face Seattle/Saints, but that would be a road game.

So now you ask yourself, whats better? Bye week but play at home or beat wildcard and travel to unbeatable homefields? 

Archived