• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Delhomme: "I didn't play well"

scpanther22

I like what this ass had to say:

TFBuckFutter says:

July 19, 2009 1:06 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Jake is wildly overrated?

He's a serviveable starter, but for the most part, he's barely above average. He's had 2 seasons of 20+ TDs....

I don't know. I just never really got it.

Now then, not comparing or anything, but Joe Montana had one season with his TDs were over 30. 4 seasons his TDs were under 20, and 5 seasons were is TDs were in the mid 20's I didn't count his 2 season in KC, his rookie year or the season he got hurt. I have never ever heard anybody overrate Jake, most intelligent people have him average at best. Seems like most Jake haters have no idea what they are talking about. They just to hate on everything, even taking responsibility for a bad game. I mean it's not like he killed anybody or any animals...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MontJo01.htm

I like what this ass had to say:

Now then, not comparing or anything, but Joe Montana had one season with his TDs were over 30. 4 seasons his TDs were under 20, and 5 seasons were is TDs were in the mid 20's I didn't count his 2 season in KC, his rookie year or the season he got hurt. I have never ever heard anybody overrate Jake, most intelligent people have him average at best. Seems like most Jake haters have no idea what they are talking about. They just to hate on everything, even taking responsibility for a bad game. I mean it's not like he killed anybody or any animals...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MontJo01.htm

I want to strangle that idiot. We have a run-heavy offense that relies mostly on play action bombs and mid-long range passes, and he doesn't "get" why Delhomme doesn't pass for 4000 yards and 35 TDs every season? He'd have to complete like 80% of his passes to do that. That's not a commentary on Jake's ability or lack of ability, that's just a basic understanding of the system he plays in.

Yeah I was joking, I knew he probably meant serviceable. My bad.

There were a couple decent responses on there but for the most part, the people commenting showed about the same level of knowledge most media have.

Commenters for the most part on sports articles/blogs make me feel bad about the potential for the human race.

well there is really not much else he can say is there?

The positive here is that he did not detail what others here do/have as far as play calling i.e. abandoning the run.

The Panthers just got punched in the mouth that game and everyone saw what happens when/if the coaches lean on Jake to win the game. Jake is not my favorite QB and he is definitely not going to ever be that kind of QB but to be fair not many are or ever have been in history. Historically with the Panthers the QB is down on the list of priority when it comes to the salary cap and strength of roster. Weinke was the only draft pick home run they swung at with the position and my theory is that they felt comfortable with that more based on his age coming off the Heisman. This shows that JR is making his presence known in that discussion as the only constant over the life of the franchise. It must be his philosophy to stay away from the "young guns" and take the risk of occasionally missing out on the the Matt Ryans of the world. As long as that approach does not blow up too much like it did in that game (Cards) and we don't rely too much on Jake, we should be OK. I do not personally agree with that strategy as it leads to a somewhat mediocre result over time but I'm not on the Panthers payroll so it really doesn't matter what I/we think in the end.

So while I am glad he did not mouth off about "other" things that happened during that game that many have speculated about here, I think he said all he needed to given his obviously not having the best day and what he feels is his solid relationship with the powers that be in the franchise. Jake has always been comfortable enough here to accept responsibility and over the years he has become more and more comfortable doing it. The flip side is that he never has been too mouthy or too flashy when the win streak is going which which I consider a positive. By staying even keel with the media his statements always come off as positive from the standpoint of the franchise.

Everyone will (should) agree that with the roster currently intact a "better" QB would be a benefit and maybe push us over the edge but I always remember that without his serviceability over the years this roster may never have been able to be assembled. For that I am grateful but just like I am sure he would say, with the job comes the commitment to take responsibility for bad games and good ones.

Maybe it's not fair. Maybe it's childish to get on him too much sometimes. I don't know and it really does not matter. Such comes with the job. Hopefully the negative is a motivator and more times than not for him it seems to be. He has his slides and definitely the last outing was the worst ever. For what its worth I expect him to "bounce back" because of who he is and the reality of his character but if he does not and continues to struggle in the mix of the superior NFL talent that surrounds him, I won't be too surprised.

C'mon Jake!

One thing about Jake I like, among others, is that he doesn't make lousy excuses after bad performance. He's actually harder on himself than anybody on this message board.

maybe some of his major supporters should follow his line of thinking.

One thing about Jake I like, among others, is that he doesn't make lousy excuses after bad performance. He's actually harder on himself than anybody on this message board.

maybe some of his major supporters should follow his line of thinking.

I wish, but he's nowhere near as bad on himself as posters on here are. He stands up and takes the blows, but he couldn't handle the blows that come from here...

I'm done arguing, a bitch is still a bitch. Delhomme is a streaky player but more often than not he'll win the game for you which is better than half the QBs in the NFL, what's more he'd bleed for this organisation which is better than all the other QBs in the NFL.

Love him or hate him, he's here to stay, so get used to it.

I wish, but he's nowhere near as bad on himself as posters on here are. He stands up and takes the blows, but he couldn't handle the blows that come from here...

Actually I bet he is much harder on himself than anybody on a message board could ever be.... I'm often not a big fan of Jake's play, but I've never doubted his work ethic (aka heart). He does what he can with the skills he has, I admire that.

Archived