• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers camp countdown Defensive line critical

scpanther22

and that's fine of you to not take things at face value.. When I read that, I sense Davidson is trying to find what works.. It's very clear to me and I have very sound reasons for this. But you are someone of a different mindset that thinks someone's intentions and plans always show up on the field, and I guess what people are trying to explain is a coach/coordinators are trying to find a balance with the personnel they have and a scheme that works.. If you think Fox is the type to put a square peg in a round hole, then that's fine.. We know how you think and appreciate knowing this in the future. It's not a bad thing for you, so it works for you...

When you say, Fox wants to be conservative and safe.. you are 100% correct. Fox may go for it on 4th and 1 at times, but I will agree he will have Davidson (and Davidson will have himself do this) call a draw play when it's 3rd and 10 on your 30 yard line. This philosophy is based on Punt the ball and let the defense get it back. They call this "a game of field position", which is important.

When you say Fox doesn't want, "a great defensive mind to come into Carolina and implemet anything new. He wants someone who will run his defense.....not there idea of what Carolina should do. "

You again, are 100% correct.. No one is here to tell you that Meeks was hired because he ran a 3-4 and Fox wants a 4-3 ran.. Meeks is similar in mindset because he runs a similar defense. All people are trying to explain to you is that a cover 3 (Trgo) is different than a cover 2.. But again, you're right, it's not drastically different. You might not notice much of a difference at all if you aren't aware of those differences... All we are trying to say is that the scheme is changing slightly (cover 2 type of defense, and even then it's a variation of a cover 2.. which can bring up MORE debates)... but you won't be seeing a drastic change.

You will also be seeing more swarming to the ball and more focus on technique... this all comes into play with why people are saying this is a change. Trgo had a quote saying "We are going to beat you on technique, not on fundamentals per say." Meeks believes something different..

THese are all factual differences being pointed out in the media and interviews...

The discussion isn't "Fox wants his philosophy, so he hired meeks"... Please don't respond back with just those kind of statements.. THis is obvious. You are exactly right, but you are extremely wrong in thinking that nothing will change. We have a DC, things are going to change.

Will they work? We have to see... It may take time.. But we have a new DC, things won't be exactly the same..

And to say Fox controls all and handcuffs his coordinators is not a realistic argument to run with. Understand where people are coming from... Fox has his philosophy, he's the head coach. Most people understand this. But The coordinators are implementing their philosophies as well.. That's just how the system works... HC's wouldn't need coordinators if that wasn't the case...

Sorry it's so long... :cool:

I understand where you and others are coming from and why.....I just don't see things from that angle.

Meeks wasn't brought in though imo just b/c he runs a 4-3 and not a 3-4. There are many different styles and schemes out of a 4-3....Meeks appears to have played w/ a philosophy that Fox things will make him a good fit. All 4-3 aren't as conservative as what Foxy likes to do and all don't rely as heavily on the front 4 as Fox.

I don't think Meeks is going to bring his same scheme from Indy either. Yes, he will bring a cover 2 but I highly suspect we will see a variation of it and some of that cover 3 also. Fox sets the mentality of what Meeks is suppose to do.....I have a problem w/ the mentality Fox uses. I'm not a fan of playing not to lose. Fox does do that. IMO, we will continue to see that imposed on both Davidson and Meeks.

Fox/Trgo did do some similar talk about putting a focus on swarming to the ball and dumbing things down last year as well.....which is being heavily talked about currently. Players, imo, were just as excited about the new approach they were going to take last year at this time...which imo, a lot of it is the same as this year in regards to focusing on basics and attacking.

You think that Billechek just told his coordinators to just go do what you want to do? Andy Reid? Tom Coghlin? Mike Tomlin? Let's try to get real here. The head coach doesn't have the time to run the play by play offense and defense of his team, if he does then he is not doing his job and that would become very obvious very fast. If the coordinators are not cutting it, then he needs to replace them immediately. That he sat in on a couple of defensive meetings meant he was concerned, not taking over. And there's been no evidence of anything more than that.

Of course the head coach is going to apply his philosophy to the team, that's what he was hired to do, not that difficult a concept. I wouldn't want a head coach who didn't want to take on that responsibility. But it's up to their coordinators to take his philosophy and run with it, the head coach has too many balls in the air to micro-manage them, it's up to them to carry out the mission. There are several different ways to skin the cat, (that was for you Panthro), so Meeks system might be totally different from Trgo's and it appears it is going to be so. Why don't we quit whining and just see how it's going to turn out?

You think that Billechek just told his coordinators to just go do what you want to do? Andy Reid? Tom Coghlin? Mike Tomlin? Let's try to get real here. The head coach doesn't have the time to run the play by play offense and defense of his team, if he does then he is not doing his job and that would become very obvious very fast. If the coordinators are not cutting it, then he needs to replace them immediately. That he sat in on a couple of defensive meetings meant he was concerned, not taking over. And there's been no evidence of anything more than that.

Of course the head coach is going to apply his philosophy to the team, that's what he was hired to do, not that difficult a concept. I wouldn't want a head coach who didn't want to take on that responsibility. But it's up to their coordinators to take his philosophy and run with it, the head coach has too many balls in the air to micro-manage them, it's up to them to carry out the mission. There are several different ways to skin the cat, (that was for you Panthro), so Meeks system might be totally different from Trgo's and it appears it is going to be so. Why don't we quit whining and just see how it's going to turn out?

I find it hard to believe Fox micromanages... which is the point you are making.

I think mostly CRA's point is that he thinks regardless of what the hype is, that Meeks will still show a variation of cover 3 and extreme conservative play calling...

To that I don't agree, but in the end, we all will have to wait and see....

I can't help it, "talk" and what people say they want to do just doesn't sit well with me. I'm not trying to say they are lying...but until I see a change on Sunday.....it doesn't mean anything.

Bottom line, I have no confidence Fox will let Meeks implement a different philosophy on defense than what Fox has shown he prefers. He may go about it in a different angle than Trgo.....but Fox will have Meeks playing conservative and calling a scheme of plays to not lose ball games. imo. Meeks and Davidson were brought in b/c of there style/mindset/philosophy....it isn't a huge leap from what Fox wants in his OC/DC. That is why he hired them. Fox doesn't want a great defensive mind to come into Carolina and implemet anything new. He wants someone who will run his defense.....not there idea of what Carolina should do. He wants to be safe and he will make sure Meeks is......and Carolina simply doesn't have the talent to play conservative on D anymore.

And how many conversations have you had with Fox about this? You know all of this how?? Since with the exception of Del Rio for one season, Fox has only had Trgovac who had no DC experience before coming here. Meeks was a DC for 7 years in a system which produced good results for the most part. What happened with Trgo has no bearing on what Meeks will or won't do. Most of us will at least wait and see what happens. Obviously someone who is as close-minded as you doesn't need to wait to see the facts since they already know what will happen.

What are the winning numbers for Wednesday nights lottery, Nostradamus??

Archived