• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers camp countdown Defensive line critical

scpanther22

In simple terms, Fox is a front 4 guy just like Meeks. We aren't built for that kind of scheme in Carolina currently. Fox doesn't care though, he will try to make the guys we have fit what he likes to do......that is a common theme seen on both sides of the ball. We have the talent to win now.......but Fox will try to put the square peg in the round hole the majority of the time. IMO

We haven't been a front four team and he hasn't been a front four guy as you say if that relates to getting pressure on the quarterback. Surely not since Buckner and Jenkins left. We have been a front four team if that is to plug the gaps and stop the run on running plays and then blitz the quarterback to get pressure on passing downs.

And Foxy will do whatever works. Meeks has said that his scheme will fit the players not the other way around and for now I believe him. Fox is conservative and old school, still he actually has a reputation for getting the most out of his talent not the other way around. Give me 2 examples where defensive players have gone from here as starters and played better somewhere else.

It will be harder than you think because it has been said often that we have a good system which brings out the best in some players not the other way around. Harris is a prime example of a guy who was decent in Chicago but was considered expendable but came here and has flourished.

Not sure we had a good system in the past 2 years but we surely did through 2006.

We haven't been a front four team and he hasn't been a front four guy as you say if that relates to getting pressure on the quarterback. Surely not since Buckner and Jenkins left. We have been a front four team if that is to plug the gaps and stop the run on running plays and then blitz the quarterback to get pressure on passing downs.

And Foxy will do whatever works. Meeks has said that his scheme will fit the players not the other way around and for now I believe him. Fox is conservative and old school, still he actually has a reputation for getting the most out of his talent not the other way around. Give me 2 examples where defensive players have gone from here as starters and played better somewhere else.

It will be harder than you think because it has been said often that we have a good system which brings out the best in some players not the other way around. Harris is a prime example of a guy who was decent in Chicago but was considered expendable but came here and has flourished.

Not sure we had a good system in the past 2 years but we surely did through 2006.

Some people and their perceptions... *tsk tsk*

lol

We aren't good or effective w/ the front four pressure but Fox still heavily relies on that and not blitzing for his pressure overall. Yes, we do blitz guys....that doesn't mean Fox isn't a front four guy.

I don't think Fox has a reputation for getting the most out of his talent. Prior to Peppers voicing it, the fanbase didn't think he got the most out of Peppers. I don't think nor do others even think he is getting the most out of Smitty he can.

2 players? How many Carolina starters have left under Fox on defense and not left b/c of injury/retiring? There isn't exactly a large pool of guys to pull from......Jenkins was the last to leave and he definately didn't play worse. For the most part, the back 7 during the early years of Fox played behind the best front 4 in the NFL......they benefited from that while in Carolina.

Harris is just a hard hitter from a tough/hardnosed system. He learned that in Chicago. He came here and implemented what he learned in Chicago.... he stinks in coverage but is nasty. That isn't something Foxy brought out of Harris.

if a player is here and has the potential to do better but doesn't for some reason it's fox's fault.

if a player comes here and does really well it has nothing to do with fox.

is that about right?

panthers lose because of fox and win in spite of him. lol

Kinda looks that way to me. Also if you do something wrong and your name is not Jake Delhommme, does anybody hear it?...

There seems to be only two people to blame for everything wrong with a team that was 12-4 last season, who'd a thunk it...

if a player is here and has the potential to do better but doesn't for some reason it's fox's fault.

if a player comes here and does really well it has nothing to do with fox.

is that about right?

panthers lose because of fox and win in spite of him. lol

Fox is a good coach, but he won't steal the Panthers a win or two like the great coaches will. If it is going to come down to a battle of coaching......I'm not comfortable w/ Carolina's odds. Fox is gonna hit you will the same hammer every game and every season. It is only a matter of can you stop it.

Fox is a good coach, but he won't steal the Panthers a win or two like the great coaches will. If it is going to come down to a battle of coaching......I'm not comfortable w/ Carolina's odds. Fox is gonna hit you will the same hammer every game and every season. It is only a matter of can you stop it.

What is that you exactly expect? Every coach in the league throws it at the offense of the other team and says, "Can you stop me", every team. That statement made no sense...

Offenses do the same, I like our chances...

What is that you exactly expect? Every coach in the league throws it at the offense of the other team and says, "Can you stop me", every team. That statement made no sense...

Offenses do the same, I like our chances...

No, every team does not try to hit you w/ the exact same hammer every game and every season. As Fox said after the AZ arse kicking, we had been running that lame arse coverage all season.....why change b/c of a playoff game against the Cards?

So what I am gathering from this thread is that some people on here think that Fox would rather run his system, in spite of winning??? That is pretty asinine if you ask me. Fox may have a big ego, but I highly doubt that he would keep using his system if he didnt think that it was effective.

I think that the coordinators have a lot more say in the situation than some of us think. The offense sucked, so they got rid of Henning, and now with Davidson we have one of the best offenses in the league. The defense sucked, so they got rid of Trgovac....now, does anyone want to make a bet that our D is markedly improved next season?

No, every team does not try to hit you w/ the exact same hammer every game and every season. As Fox said after the AZ arse kicking, we had been running that lame arse coverage all season.....why change b/c of a playoff game against the Cards?

Umm, where exactly did I talk about the exact same hammer every game? I said every coach in the league throws out the hammer and said, "now stop me" on both sides of the ball. But I never said it was the same hammer every week... The Trgo era is over, let's take a wait and see stance before we continue to rail against it. Anything else would simply be stupid...

Umm, where exactly did I talk about the exact same hammer every game? I said every coach in the league throws out the hammer and said, "now stop me" on both sides of the ball. But I never said it was the same hammer every week... The Trgo era is over, let's take a wait and see stance before we continue to rail against it. Anything else would simply be stupid...

I am the one who used the "same hammer every game/season" remark.

Quick question. What makes you sure it was the Trgo era and not the Fox era? I mean, there are plenty of examples of Fox's offense not making adjustments and sticking w/ "Gamplan A" regardless of talent/situation......which mirrors what we saw on defense.

I am the one who used the "same hammer every game/season" remark.

Quick question. What makes you sure it was the Trgo era and not the Fox era? I mean, there are plenty of examples of Fox's offense not making adjustments and sticking w/ "Gamplan A" regardless of talent/situation......which mirrors what we saw on defense.

Well we're getting ready to see aren't we? You've painted yourself into a corner and maybe so have I. Let's see what happens and then I hope the one that's wrong will man up and admit it. I know I will...

Well we're getting ready to see aren't we? You've painted yourself into a corner and maybe so have I. Let's see what happens and then I hope the one that's wrong will man up and admit it. I know I will...

I hope I am wrong. It won't be the first or last. I know all last season (early on) I was complaining b/c Williams was getting too many touches and Stewart needed more......I hope Fox makes me look like a bigger boob than you already think I am. I will man up, my friend, if need be.

Archived