• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers camp countdown Defensive line critical

scpanther22

A nice synopsis of where the team stands and what directions it needs to be headed in. I particularly like the mention of the secondary and how if that line solidifys then the defense will be, as an all-around unit, fearsome. If opposing scouts can see that and be worried then we as fans should see that and be optomistic.

You know, SC pantherfan wrote that thread to be responded to, but you just insured it wouldn't be. Why? What the hell is your motivation?...

My motivation was to respond to this very article that SC pantherfan was kind enough to post. The article which further backs up everything that I have been telling people all along. I guess certain people just hate it when Gman is right. ;)

My motivation was to respond to this very article that SC pantherfan was kind enough to post. The article which further backs up everything that I have been telling people all along. I guess certain people just hate it when Gman is right. ;)

Well, considering that no one has ever denied what the quote that you pointed out was saying I can't quite see how you being right is any more special than anything else that anyone has said. Where there is a discrepincy between what you say and what most others believe is that Meeks' will put emphasis on different areas of play, such as speed and ball stripping, and will more than likely be more willing to step out of the box than Turgovac ever was. The quote that you posted, while accurate, does nothing to back up anything you've ever said.

Try again.

Well, considering that no one has ever denied what the quote that you pointed out was saying I can't quite see how you being right is any more special than anything else that anyone has said. Where there is a discrepincy between what you say and what most others believe is that Meeks' will put emphasis on different areas of play, such as speed and ball stripping, and will more than likely be more willing to step out of the box than Turgovac ever was. The quote that you posted, while accurate, does nothing to back up anything you've ever said.

Try again.

People keep saying that scheme is totally different now and that it is going to drastically change. The article points out the very opposite which is what Ive been saying. Im pretty sure every defenses goal is to get to "run to the ball" and make a play. Ill beleive there will be change when I see it. Im just tired of buying the hype every year only to see the same exact thing.

Some valid points yet other parts are so untrue it makes it hard to give much credence to the article. Look at the Meeks versus Trgovac argument. I am no expert but Trgovac always had the most complex plays with lots of assignments. He always talked about simplifying things but the complaint was that his defenses were easy to beat but hard to execute. Then Meeks comes in and runs a simplified scheme which emphasizes speed instead of strength. Seems they aren't similar but that Meeks is doing what Trgovac couldn't. Simplify things and capitalize on the players strengths instead of trying to fit the players into specific roles and complex read and react schemes. Hardly similar from what I can see.

People keep saying that scheme is totally different now and that it is going to drastically change. The article points out the very opposite which is what Ive been saying. Im pretty sure every defenses goal is to get to "run to the ball" and make a play. Ill beleive there will be change when I see it. Im just tired of buying the hype every year only to see the same exact thing.

Seriously?

The article itself contradicts itself on your grand point..

Defense: Meeks is a product of the Tony Dungy school of defense, so look for him to play a lot of cover-2 zones and emphasize speed and mobility over size and strength. Meeks won't lean on the blitz but will look to pressure the quarterback with his front four linemen. The back seven will be asked to limit big plays by keeping the ball in front of them, but the safeties will do a lot of filling in the run game. Meeks' approach isn't much different from the one employed by predecessor Mike Trgovac.

Trgo ran mostly a Cover 3 while the article points out Meeks will have more of a Cover 2..

The players have said over and over again they have a lot of new things to learn.. If that means nothing to you, come out and say it. But to believe it will be exactly the same is stubborn on your part.

Way to reach on this article, the one and only that you can even reach on to try to back up your claim while every single other one proves Gman is wrong..

--------------------

Onto actual important discussions...

"With Carolina, you start with the offensive line. They're big and physical and that equates to a real good running game, and they've got a dynamic duo at running back. People say DeAngelo Williams is more the quick guy, but he's a powerful guy, too. He has outstanding leg drive and can break through tackles. Jonathan Stewart is the same type of back, only bigger, and they both catch the ball well.

Just thought I'd point this out....

Seriously?

The article itself contradicts itself on your grand point..

Trgo ran mostly a Cover 3 while the article points out Meeks will have more of a Cover 2..

The players have said over and over again they have a lot of new things to learn.. If that means nothing to you, come out and say it. But to believe it will be exactly the same is stubborn on your part.

Way to reach on this article, the one and only that you can even reach on to try to back up your claim while every single other one proves Gman is wrong..

--------------------

Onto actual important discussions...

Just thought I'd point this out....

you can't put that much stock in what players say prior to a season b/c normally it doesn't pan out like the picture they paint. Plus, if Trgo never quit....they would still be learning lots of new stuff on D and would be saying the same things.

Archived