• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Top 5 Coach-GM Combos

Its nice to finally see Marty Hurney get the respect that he rightfully deserves. People keep ripping on him but I think he is one of the better GM's around. If only Fox could do a better job with the talent that he keeps providing for him.

Maybe Fox will, now that they're going after the right type of OL personnel with Otah, Vincent, Duke Robinson etc..instead of OL players like Wahle and Hartwig, so now Fox could play his style of football. Hurney has been doing a good job, which I believe Fox has been too.

They've had some ish drafts but they usually do pretty well finding their type of player.

NE also has a completely unproven GM (or as they call it Director of Player Personnel) right now. It's probably why the Colts aren't listed either, Dungy is gone and Caldwell is completely unproven as a HC.

No doubt about it, they do a very good job of finding the "NE" player.

I can't argue with the top 3 but I'm not sure you can really rate the Bears or Chargers up that high because of Angelo and Turner, respectively.

Have you counted how many playoff wins Norv has in the past 3 years, and counted our own John Fox's playoff wins in that amount of time?

Norv gets a bad rap, but IMO is a good HC, not great, but good.

Also SD's draft success since AJ took over is unreal, that probably has a ton to do with it.

I still remember when they drafted Mankins @ #32 in 2005 and people (including ME) were like WTF?!?!?!?!? Guy's an absolute nasty beast @ LG.

I certainly remember that. I was shocked as well, can't remember who was on the board that I "knew" they were going to draft, but Mankins was a shocker.

Like I said, they have found some gems, but have not been "great" at the draft roulette wheel. But, you don't have to be great, if you have a great system, and vets think that they can win the big one with you.

NE isn't on there because it is a current list.

Pioli was the GM for them during their dynasty...he has moved on to KC

this....they don't have the same GM. pioli was there from '02 - '08.

can't say they are top 5 anymore when one of the parties is gone.

I certainly remember that. I was shocked as well, can't remember who was on the board that I "knew" they were going to draft, but Mankins was a shocker.

Probably a LB. Every year, they say LB (whether DE conversion or actual LB) for NE. Just like everyone used to say about the Cats & TE.

Like I said, they have found some gems, but have not been "great" at the draft roulette wheel. But, you don't have to be great, if you have a great system, and vets think that they can win the big one with you.

It's a balance with finding FAs who fit also. Like that 2001 team. Good gravy, that's a "Who's Who" of WHO???? And like poker, you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em (cut wise, get rid of them a year too early instead of a year too late). I think at times the Cats have held on maybe a year too long, but I also think they have gotten much better at that.

Have you counted how many playoff wins Norv has in the past 3 years, and counted our own John Fox's playoff wins in that amount of time?

Norv gets a bad rap, but IMO is a good HC, not great, but good.

Also SD's draft success since AJ took over is unreal, that probably has a ton to do with it.

Norv is a great offensive coordinator, but he's not a head coach. I think that was part of the problem with the painfully slow start of the Chargers last year.

Norv is a great offensive coordinator, but he's not a head coach. I think that was part of the problem with the painfully slow start of the Chargers last year.

huh?

Norv's gotten to the playoffs both seasons after he's taken over, farther up the ladder than Marty ever took them.

Archived