• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Free Digital Converter Box Governement Program

Kevin Greene

Just a heads up.

If you have Cable or Dish and have a TV that isn't hooked to it that no longer will receive a signal Government coupons are still available. $40 coupon will get you a converter box and HD antenna shipped to your house free if you shop around.

Hit the "Get a Coupon" link at the top of this page:

https://secure.freetvsignal.com/viewAll.php

After you've applied for and had your card shipped to you look for a deal like this:

https://secure.freetvsignal.com/viewBox.php?productNo=antennaDeal

It's free, why not.

Good luck.

haha Kevin Greene is hawking a government program that has handouts for the poor that we all have to pay for like its a good thing

Well, considering that goverment mandated the switch in the 1st place...

Its just another case of them creating a problem just so they can offer a solution. Par for the course these days.

My question has always been how useful a converter box is with no electricity. I have a small battery operated TV for hurricane season, but no way to power the box. There's a link on there to buy a battery conversion kit for 20 bucks, so I might get one of those.

They didn't create the problem; if the government didn't step in we would still be in the equivalent of the TV stone ages. NTSC was already a laugh to the PAL based world, and without some prodding we would still be wondering what HDTV is.

what are the advantages of PAL over NTSC? 5 less fps?

I don't know, but by European friends back in the day called it "Never The Same Color".

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALvsNTSC/PALvsNTSC.asp

Its about max presentable resolution. OK after looking, PAL has 6FPS less updating - but 24FPS is what you can see, so that part is useless. PAL has over 60,000 more pixels available at 16x9 resolution.

My question has always been how useful a converter box is with no electricity. I have a small battery operated TV for hurricane season, but no way to power the box. There's a link on there to buy a battery conversion kit for 20 bucks, so I might get one of those.

I think that in typical government fashion, this was overlooked in the transition. Yes, digital TV is great, but you're right, unless there are battery powered DTV converter boxes, you're screwed if the power is out. I suspect someone somewhere is working on battery powered DTV's, but I also suspect that they won't be cheap.

I think that in typical government fashion, this was overlooked in the transition. Yes, digital TV is great, but you're right, unless there are battery powered DTV converter boxes, you're screwed if the power is out. I suspect someone somewhere is working on battery powered DTV's, but I also suspect that they won't be cheap.

Yeah, see, you live in Wilmington, so you know exactly what I'm talking about. The 20 dollar battery pack thingy is what I need, tho the website has a battery operated digital 7" TV for a little over $100.

Archived