• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The cart before the horse. 2010 contract implications.

top dawg

I can see from some of the other threads that people are already mentioning D. Will, Pep, and others in terms of who should stay and who should go, but my thing is that this season will be a very important litmus test that will have very important implications as to the direction of our team for years to come, and at this point it is really futile to try and determine what should happen, and way what will happen based on history for the last couple of seasons.

There are just too many questions left to be answered, especially when you consider the upside of the rookies (and a few key vets) that the FO has brought into the equation. Will Pep be Pep? Well, if you look at his career, he is about the most consistent producer that we have on that side of the ball (whether you agree or not). And what about CJ, TB, and EB? Will their play give pause to the FO's thought processes in regards to the incomparable Pep? One of the main questions on the offensive side of the ball is, "Is D. Will for real?" Yeah, he had a breakout season---the first of his career---but will he be anywhere near last season's productivity ? Will J. Stew be so productive this year (as well as some of the rookies), that we might dangle him or Williams as a carrot on a stick to improve ourselves on the defensive side of the ball (or perhaps to acquire an up and coming A-list WR)? Will Jarrett finally break out of Fox's hen house? Will Fox even be here?

Basically, all I am saying is that, as Panthers' fans, we have a lot to look forward to. We can be guardedly optimistic because of our seasoned veterans, young talent, and the success---yes, I said it---success from last year. This season will help to answer a lot of questions, so let's just sit back and enjoy the ride, for whatever it is worth. Even under the worst of circumstances, we still have a young team, and can go in several directions that I believe will keep the window open for a championship available for years to come. Let's let the kinks work themselves out on the field and on the sidelines.

It's time to concentrate on THIS SEASON, and worry about the rest after the season is over.

Dwill in all likelihood will play out his contract and move on and we'll draft a 2nd or 3rd rounder unless Goodson booms.

It's just part of life.

He's got 2 more years under contract putting him at 28. Tag him a year if he's still producing, maybe even try to sign him to an extension if we haven't beat him into the dirt, but not more than 3 years.

It's not "getting rid" of someone if we don't re-sign them and as much as he loves being in Carolina running backs have a short life expectancy once they hit 30 that's generally about it. He has this season and the next on contract. Stewart will have finished his third season and still have 2 (if memory serves) on his contract. That means we're fine for at least 4 years at running back.

There wouldn't be enough money to sign Williams to a franchise RB contract if we wanted to keep the nucleus of young talent we have as well. Also, remember by that time we'll likely have a new starting QB.

It's better business to let Williams walk. I know it sounds harsh but our running game is as much the people around Williams as it is him we need to keep them happy as well.

Archived