• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers v Other DEs

Mother Grabber

I think you also have to consider strength against the run. Everyone knows that you run right at Freeney and other DE's, but most OC's run away from Peppers and with good reason. Pepper is worth the money he's asking for and would be worth even more with more help in the line.

holy crap... someone else agrees with me that freeney is a one dimensional player?

I think you also have to consider strength against the run. Everyone knows that you run right at Freeney and other DE's, but most OC's run away from Peppers and with good reason. Pepper is worth the money he's asking for and would be worth even more with more help in the line.

Peppers is not worth if you have to pay him so much that you can't afford other NFL quality lineman.

I would rather have 3 or 4 good de's than one very good de and 3 scrubs.

Peppers is not worth if you have to pay him so much that you can't afford other NFL quality lineman.

I don't think that will be an issue this year. Watch! We have our cake, and we're gonna eat it too.

The discussion afterwards has some more stats about sacks v over .500 and sub .500 teams for all of the DEs mentioned. Make sure to scroll down and read the discussion.

i did read the discussion and it's fairly interesting. teams with winning records usually have decent offensive linemen, teams that win a lot also tend to not get exploited by superstars. considering peppers has been our only legitimate pass rusher for the past 3 years, most over .500 teams are sending lots of attention his way, whether that be double teams or matching up against higher quality linemen.

tuck has a stacked giants defensive line around him, freeney has robert mathis, jared allen has the williams boys...

what im saying is that i'm ok if peppers disappears in big games so long as he demands a good amount of attention and the rest of our defense steps up. i'm sure nobody would blame smith if he was literally triple teamed all day and moose/jarett put up 200+ yards and a td or 2.

I don't think Brown,Johnson, Brayton, and Kemo are scrubs. Situational players? Yes. Lewis is a back up. All I think the line is missing now is a pressure DT. Kemo is a starter, we just need a DT to compliment him. Lewis doesn't take on double teams like we need him to. And it doesn't help that we don't blitz our LBs often.

Kemo is no scrub, he was traded for to be a run stuffer and has been a very good one. Damian Lewis is a very good player, just not an every down player. I'm hoping with the addition of Brown, we will use Lewis in league with Johnson/Brayton and Corvey Irvin can combine to fill that position. We may have a quality rotation there...

Kemo is no scrub, he was traded for to be a run stuffer and has been a very good one. Damian Lewis is a very good player, just not an every down player. I'm hoping with the addition of Brown, we will use Lewis in league with Johnson/Brayton and Corvey Irvin can combine to fill that position. We may have a quality rotation there...

Yes I am quietly praying that Irvin is the next Kris Jenkins, player wise of course. Honestly I have high hopes for all of our DEs. I think Brayton could surprise some people, he's great against the run and another year in our system at the same position(for once) should do him some good.

I don't think Brown,Johnson, Brayton, and Kemo are scrubs. Situational players? Yes. Lewis is a back up. All I think the line is missing now is a pressure DT. Kemo is a starter, we just need a DT to compliment him. Lewis doesn't take on double teams like we need him to. And it doesn't help that we don't blitz our LBs often.

I was thinking more about defensive ends, both starters and backups, not so much tackles. My hope is that Johnson comes on, and the new kid is a player, so we can have solid starters and a decent backup like we had when Al Wallace was here.

Archived