• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just like starting over for Fields

scpanther22

"There's definitely a lot of new terminology, (and changes) how we've played certain techniques, like looking at the quarterback as opposed to looking at the man last year in zone coverages," Fields said. "It's just nuances that you've got to get used to.

"It's like all defenses. You've got a chance at flexibility come down, drop back, lurk in the middle. Coach definitely has a lot of tools for the safeties to be successful; it's just a matter of us learning them and going out and executing."

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/just-like-starting-over-for-fields/7ed3189b-6ac0-4542-a191-7d5a21f62ae9

OOOH a practice squad player saying the scheme is different during freakin OTA's. We've never heard this before now have we? I guess that settles it. Our defense is going to be agressive now even though we havent had one under John Fox before. This is only the third year in a row we've heard this. Three times must be a charm. :cool:

OOOH a practice squad player saying the scheme is different during freakin OTA's. We've never heard this before now have we? I guess that settles it. Our defense is going to be agressive now even though we havent had one under John Fox before. This is only the third year in a row we've heard this. Three times must be a charm. :cool:

No what we heard in the past is that our scheme was going to be simplified. Not that the terminology would be different or the scheme would be different.

No what we heard in the past is that our scheme was going to be simplified. Not that the terminology would be different or the scheme would be different.

I swear I've pointed that out to people about ten times, but some people just don't seem to get it even if it hits them upside their incredibly thick heads.

Ron Meeks is not known as an agressive coach or for having an agressive defense. Thats why Fox hired him. Because he is conservative. Just because the terminology changes doesnt mean the philosophy will. It will remain a bend but dont break defense as long as Fox is calling the shots!

Ron Meeks is not known as an agressive coach or for having an agressive defense. Thats why Fox hired him. Because he is conservative. Just because the terminology changes doesnt mean the philosophy will. It will remain a bend but dont break defense as long as Fox is calling the shots!

You know, every defensive scheme that's ever been invented can be described as "bend but don't break". All that phrase means is that players and coaches are realistic enough to understand that they're not going to get a 3 and out and/ or a turnover on every series, or hold every opponent scoreless. Even the 85 Bears defense bent at times, and that's the best I've ever seen. Hell, John Fox has even used that same Buddy Ryan style defense that terrified all the Bears opponents in 85.

Archived