• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers V. Suggs

Jangler

You're right, you don't need stats, but some parralells should be there. Suggs is a OLB how probalbly wouldn't do well as a 4-3 DE and you could probably say the exact opposite about Peppers. Suggs was grouped with HOF lock Ray Lewis and Bart Scott in a VERY aggressive, blitz heavy scheme devised by one of the best DC's in the league and Peppers had Trgo. Offenses rarely knew who was coming and from where when playing the Ravens, you can hardy say the same about the Panthers....

Totally different schemes, totally different players and I agree with you completely. Trgovac was the most predictable DC I know of. Had we had a more agressive DC we might have been World Champs by now.

When we had a good DL our LB corp was led by Dan (I cant stay healthy) Morgan. Then we get a good MLB in Beason and our DL is weak. I would love to see a good DLine and our current LBs plus a new approach. It doesn't have to be a blitz happy just less predictable.

I would take JP over Suggs anyday of the week. JP is gonna have a banner year and he'll sign a long term deal.

I am intruiged to see who you think is more dominating...your previous posting seems to suggest that it would be Suggs?

Now I know comparing these stats are a waste of time, but here goes anyway.

Peppers

2.63 tackles per game

0.39 PD's per game

0.67 sacks per game

0.04 Ints per game

0.24 FF per game

0.06 FR per game

Suggs

2.74 tackles per game

0.32 PD's per game

0.55 sacks per game

0.05 Ints per game

0.16 FF per game

0.10 FR per game

So what's the low down? Well Suggs gets a marginal amount of extra tackles over Peppers, but that is to be expected as he plays around 50% of his snaps in the OLB position

Peppers produces more sacks per game, which is a surprise considering that the season which everyone has written him off for only produced 2.5 sacks. It's even more surprising considering the schemes both players play in. Suggs get's the advantage of playing in a highly complicated blitz scheme that takes the opposing OL by surprise. The Ravens have also prooduced more sacks than the Panthers in every season bar the 2008 season since both players were drafted. So Suggs 'should' have more opportunities and looking at players like Ware and Merrimen, you kind of expect those numbers. Entirely different schemes again, but that is who he will be compared to.

Shockingly Peppers actually produces a bit more in disrupting pass plays. We all know that is not JUST from getting his hands up, he has done some coverage and done admirably considering his size. He has it over Suggs here.

Finally is the fumbles. Peppers is just a dominant tackler. Suggs, not so much. The better comparison would have been tackles & sacks to fumbles, as it would have shown just how much more productive Peppers is at stripping the ball.

Is he worth $40 million more?

No, no one is worth the contract Suggs got in my mind. The better thing to consider is the comparitive value in the positions. The DE tag is technically worth $8.991 million, the LB tag $8.304 million. Suggs contract is worth 7.6 times the value of his position, Peppers projected contract offer would have been 11.12 times the tag. Not worlds apart. The consider that Suggs now has the highest paid contract for a LB, so he technically got as good as he can get. For Pep though, there are already much bigger contracts across the DL. So comparitively for his position that extra $40 million is the norm.

Therefore if you feel that Pep is not worth the extra cash over Suggs contract, then you should be pretty annoyed if we EVER give that type of contract out. To anyone. His is, afterall, amongst the leagues best as pass rushing. Suggs is not. Suggs is not even amongst the leagues best as a LB, let alone a pass rusher. All those who wrote off Peppers 2007 season might as well do the same for Suggs' 2007 season. 5 sacks is NOT dominating, will we write him off thogh? Nope, much like we shouldn't write Peppers off. It was one darn season, get over it.

For the record the 'lazy' part of Peppers I often see as disciplined play, everyone saw the clips when he was knocked over when he wasnt looking and the play swung back his way. We all also saw him chase down players from the other side all of last season. Swings and roundabouts. Which is his most prevalent character trait? I will go with the most consistent one. The dominanting one. I reckon you may see an entirely different beast if he is just let off the chains and told to hunt the QBs.

i think peppers can be more dominating when he wants to..but suggs is more consistent..its just what you want. i think peppers has potential to get more than 22 sacks in a season..buts it your choice if you want a player that might give you 100% a game or will give you 100% a game..

You're right, you don't need stats, but some parralells should be there. Suggs is a OLB how probalbly wouldn't do well as a 4-3 DE and you could probably say the exact opposite about Peppers. Suggs was grouped with HOF lock Ray Lewis and Bart Scott in a VERY aggressive, blitz heavy scheme devised by one of the best DC's in the league and Peppers had Trgo. Offenses rarely knew who was coming and from where when playing the Ravens, you can hardy say the same about the Panthers.

You're right, stats don't tell the story....not even the beginning. It's a bad comparison for a number of reasons. Who's the better QB, Jake with his avg stats and a 12-4 record or Brees with his near record breaking yardage and his nonplayoff 8-8 record? Too many factors.

i think suggs got paid so much because he can play DE and OLB..peppers on the other hand would be a question mark in a 3-4 as a OLB.

Pep plays as OLB some now, hell we had plays where Kemo was in coverage. Peppers doesn't always go after the passer. Go back and watch the NO game, if Pep couldn't get position he would pull up and disrupt the passing lane. I think Peppers is the much better of the two and he is a lot more versitile than most hand in the dirt 4-3 DE's.

Archived