• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

interconference matchups NFC South/AFC east

scpanther22

it will be interesting to see how kalil and the rest of the oline along with jake handle these very good 3-4 teams..

Panthers center Ryan Kalil is going to have his hands full in these contests. No one in the NFC South plays a predominantly odd front, but Kalil will have to do battle against three massive nose tackles, which isn't the young center's forte at this point of his promising career. The Panthers play all three of these teams in a four-week period. That could be a good or bad thing depending on how well they adapt.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-12-133/Interconference-matchups--NFC-South-AFC-East.html

I just hope we STOMP the Patriots into the ground... I do NOT want a call from my friend talkin' poo cause they won. Oh, and it would be a little revenge for the Superbowl. (although, very little considering it was a Superbowl and this is not)

We beat them in 05. That was our revenge

During the regular season? Damn, where was I? :)

Regardless, the only true revenge is beating them in the Superbowl and taking that trophy from them. (Possibility still exists)..

Besides that, I never want to lose to the Patriots... I have too much invested.. :D

3. Carolina's running game vs. a trio of stout 3-4 defenses in Miami, New England and New York: Panthers center Ryan Kalil is going to have his hands full in these contests. No one in the NFC South plays a predominantly odd front, but Kalil will have to do battle against three massive nose tackles, which isn't the young center's forte at this point of his promising career. The Panthers play all three of these teams in a four-week period. That could be a good or bad thing depending on how well they adapt.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-12-133/Interconference-matchups--NFC-South-AFC-East.html

I hadn't thought of that, but Pat does have a point. Kalil is small compared to the rest of our blockers (The only one below 300 lbs). He's done pretty good face predominately 4-3 fronts.

So, do you think he can handle the bigger, stouter 3-4 tackles?

For the sake of our inside run game, I hope so.

During the regular season? Damn, where was I? :)

Regardless, the only true revenge is beating them in the Superbowl and taking that trophy from them. (Possibility still exists)..

Besides that, I never want to lose to the Patriots... I have too much invested.. :D

Oh, we beat the crap out of them in '05, 10 points, but it was much more dominating than the score. Yes, regular season and at home, in fact, I think it was September 18...

we can double team any nose tackle they throw at us or just run away from them using sweeps or tosses

yea..but kalil is a undersized C to begin with..but i am not woried about him..i am more concerned about these 3-4 teams geting in jakes head...you seen the stat of how many games we have won we jake has to throw 30+ times.

I would be concerned if our offense ran through interior running but it doesn't.

Yes we certainly use inside runs, but bigger fronts means sucepitbility to reverses, counters, stunts and every other manner of misdirection. Our backs and system is set up to hurt if someone over pursues and if the big bodies want to eat space, let them I'd wager Williams and Stewart are up to most linebackers in the NFL.

yea..but kalil is a undersized C to begin with..but i am not woried about him..i am more concerned about these 3-4 teams geting in jakes head...you seen the stat of how many games we have won we jake has to throw 30+ times.

The last time he had to throw 30+ vs a 3-4 team they Cats won (SD).

The last time the Cats played a Rex Ryan defense, the Cats' passing offense is what killed the Ravens (2006). This while the Cats had a cruddy run game. Baltimore was 13-3 that year too and their D was very good.

That said, in 2008 every single team whose QB was without a top ten defense in points allowed has a losing record in games where said QB had to throw 30+ times.

I expect NYJ will be a little different 3-4 from Mia and NE though. With the two gap system in Mia & NE, the NT's job is pretty much to take up a double team. Vincent has lined up against the 3-4 in practice in Pitt. Davidson has seen quite a bit of it also. It's probably a disadvantage to the Cats that they play all three of these teams later on in the season when they likely will have hit their stride. Especially the NYJ who are probably going to be playing that 3-4 a little different from the way they did under Mangini.

Archived