• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers can’t reach long-term deal with Peppers

Jbro

CHARLOTTE -- Today’s 4 p.m. deadline came and went without Julius Peppers’ signature on a long-term contract, setting the stage for another year of drama for the Carolina Panthers.

Peppers had previously signed the one-year, $16.683 million franchise tender, which guarantees him more than $1 million per game this year. However, there was some hope the Panthers could have signed him to a long-term deal, which would have secured him as well as provided some short-term salary cap relief.

That would have enabled them to pursue some veteran players before training camp to fill in some weak spots on the roster (interior defensive line, offensive line). Now, they’re likely limited to hoping their many young projects develop into serviceable players. That’s a direct result of the eighth-year defensive end taking up 13 percent of this year’s $128 million salary cap alone.

rest...http://www.heraldonline.com/front/story/1475774.html

The difference is that most folks felt we would be here, Pepper's comments won't be a surprise or unexpected and Hurney has fair warning at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if we just kept the deal we gave him on the table earlier this year and if he didn't take it just told him we would tag him again. That is still a bunch cheaper than signing him and surely has been done before. Just look at Walter Jones in Seattle. I figure we could tag him for the next 2 years and still save a ton of money. We might like Brown alot and feel we have some great young guys on the roster. Maybe Hurney wasn't feeling much pressure to get the deal done either. And surely Peppers seems to be giving lipservice about wanting to sign a deal. I expect he wants out no matter what. Should actually make the offseason interesting again.

Would've liked to get a deal done, clear some cap space and bring in a few mid-low tier FAs. All of the guys available, though, would just be for depth and most likely wouldn't play big minutes for us. The only guy I really want to bring in is Dewayne Robertson and that still might happen. We should have SOME cap space after we sign our draft picks anyway.

If Peppers had signed a long term deal, he would not have made near the 16.7 million he'll now make this year. Now he can play out the year and then sign long term, better for him...

...and better for us in case he shits the bed

I am sure the Panthers will be fine, but way to "not want to hurt the franchise" Pep. First you dont sign the tender to position the team to allow them to trade you should a good offer be made. You dont get any of the 4 teams you want to play for to make a good offer. Now, you are still here in Carolina on a cap strapped team due to you and as a result their depth is lite.

Archived