• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A tactical false start?

neverlosethefeeling

Speaking of tactical, Belichick had a +1 on Rivera at the end of the 1st half.

There was around 1:47 left when the Patriots were stopped on 3rd down, which brought up 4th and about 7 from about the 25 yd line.  Carolina had 2 timeouts left IIRC.  I was screaming for Rivera to call a timeout but he didn't.  The Pats sent out Brady to burn 40 seconds off the clock before calling a TO and sending in the FG unit.

We get the ball back with about a minute left and end up running the clock out to halftime.

The correct play would have been for Rivera to call a timeout and have about 1:40 and one timeout to at least try and get in field goal range before halftime.

From the Panthers blurb on the new SBN power rankings:

Did anyone else see this? Is there a team source that indicated as much? I watched the post-game presser and his press conference yesterday and don't remember this being mentioned. Nor do I remember reading it elsewhere. I've heard of taking penalties to give your kicker a better angle or your punter more room, but never this. If confirmed, RR truly is playing chess.

All I remember thinking at the time Bell got the penalty was "Fuging Byron Bell."

Taking a tactical false start so that speed burner Ted Ginn would have room to catch a game-winning 25-yard TD? That's some advanced stuff, there - Ron Rivera is playing chess while everyone else plays checkers.

That sounds made up to me. Where did he get that from? Tactical false start? Wow!!

That sounds made up to me

Speaking of tactical, Belichick had a +1 on Rivera at the end of the 1st half.

There was around 1:47 left when the Patriots were stopped on 3rd down, which brought up 4th and about 7 from about the 25 yd line. Carolina had 2 timeouts left IIRC. I was screaming for Rivera to call a timeout but he didn't. The Pats sent out Brady to burn 40 seconds off the clock before calling a TO and sending in the FG unit.

We get the ball back with about a minute left and end up running the clock out to halftime.

The correct play would have been for Rivera to call a timeout and have about 1:40 and one timeout to at least try and get in field goal range before halftime.

Yeah, I though Ron kind of half-assed that one. I thought they should either try to put together a drive using time outs, or just run the ball kill clock, and hope for a miracle.

He does an unnecessarily risky pass play, then, when there's not enough time left for the Pats to do anything, I figure riverboat would take a shot down the field.....and he lets the clock run out.

?????????

Archived