• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A tactical false start?

neverlosethefeeling

From the Panthers blurb on the new SBN power rankings:

4. Carolina Panthers

Going for it on fourth down? That's fine and good, but not really special. Taking a tactical false start so that speed burner Ted Ginn would have room to catch a game-winning 25-yard TD? That's some advanced stuff, there - Ron Rivera is playing chess while everyone else plays checkers.  Of course, it helps that Cam Newton is playing great ball and making poised, accurate throws while the Panthers defense mauls just about everyone they see. Stevan Ridley's goal line fumble might have been a key to their victory, but to the victors go the spoils - and the coveted #4 spot in the Power Rankings. (Last Week: 6)

Did anyone else see this? Is there a team source that indicated as much? I watched the post-game presser and his press conference yesterday and don't remember this being mentioned. Nor do I remember reading it elsewhere. I've heard of taking penalties to give your kicker a better angle or your punter more room, but never this. If confirmed, RR truly is playing chess.

All I remember thinking at the time Bell got the penalty was "Fuging Byron Bell."

Ron probably called the play based on the yardage lost from the false start, but i doubt he called for the false start first.

Well Shula prob called the play, but yeah I don't think it makes sense to advocate for a penalty there. At that point we were in field goal range but the wind was tricky all night and I don't think you'd want to be potentially adding distance to a game-tying field goal attempt in those circumstances. It didn't make sense to me when I read it, either.

Well Shula prob called the play, but yeah I don't think it makes sense to advocate for a penalty there. At that point we were in field goal range but the wind was tricky all night and I don't think you'd want to be potentially adding distance to a game-tying field goal attempt in those circumstances. It didn't make sense to me when I read it, either.

haha yea, i was saying Ron as a short for "coaches".

Archived