• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watching Panthers on DTV Sunday Ticket

Montsta

As a life-long (the organizations life, not mine) displaced Panthers fan, I have to pay crazy amounts of money every year to watch my boys in HD every Sunday. I used to go to the sports bar to watch them, but considering the Carolina-Whoever game (unless it's Dallas) would usually end up on the back TV and I couldn't hear poo, and I would spend at least $50 every time, I ended up getting the Ticket a few years back. Even at the 6 payments of $44.99 + $16.99 for Superfan to watch it in HD, it was well worth it.

Anyhow, times are tough so I thought I'd call and pretend cancel to see what I could get. I ended up getting free Superfan, 6 payments of only $24.99, plus free DVR (which I already have, but they knock about $15 off the bill for it) for 6 months.

Just wanted to let other displaced Panthers faithful know that you should definitely call DirecTV to see if you can get this done too. Now I'm gonna watch the Panthers games for about $5-6 a game instead of $23.

Dude, I did the same thing, but all they gave me was $120 off total. I didnt get the superfan for free. I did get it free last year. So maybe they didnt give it to me free this year because of that. Did you have to fight em?

Dude, I did the same thing, but all they gave me was $120 off total. I didnt get the superfan for free. I did get it free last year. So maybe they didnt give it to me free this year because of that. Did you have to fight em?

Nope, not at all. I told them with the economy I have to cut back on my entertainment budget and he immediately offered the $20 off per month. Then I said thanks but I still would have to get Superfan to make it worth watching, because I can't watch the games on a 52" HDTV in standard def, so he then threw in free Superfan and for some reason free DVR too, which knocks I think $10-$15 off the bill, and I didn't even ask for that. I am juiced about this, I've been happily paying almost $400/year for Sunday Ticket. I may just have to make this a yearly ritual.

The guy was really cool, I was just BSing with him about the All-Star game (he was a Detroit fan) and while we were talking Granderson hit that triple that lead to the go-ahead run and I was updating him on the game and he got pretty stoked about that. Maybe that helped. :)

yeah, I called them just to get superfan for free. He said "well I can get you 120 off sunday ticket which would cover the superfan." I would have driven a harder bargain if Ida known. Ill probably call them back and see if I can get the other too. I just assumed they werent going to give me free superfan for 2 years in a row.

This may be my last year with it. Baby is coming and we really cant pay for DirecTV. Wish I could just get sunday ticket.

Kinda sucks that the NFL just extended DirecTV's exclusive Sunday Ticket contract to 2014. But then, DTV has had the Ticket since it started, and I think they know how many customers they'd lose the day they don't have it. Oh well, I'm no longer under contract by next year's season start, so I'll have all the more ammo to get this stuff discounted again. Gawd I'm a cheap bastard.

Absolutely. I would look into Dish network if it weren't for ST...just for comparison purposes. Cable, probably not. I've had pretty good experience with Directv, and I am sure it's because they are NOT a monopoly in the area like cable is.

Me too. I've come to really like DTV. Especially the red-button scoreguide that pops up, so I don't have to watch the ticker on sportscenter to see game scores. I also have grown very dependent on the caller id popping up on screen when someone calls my house. I usually have the volume up so high on game day that I can't hear the damn thing ringing.

One bonus of getting HD is that the format of the channels are different sometimes. For example HD NFL Channel vs not HD, they have little sidebars of info on the HD version that they don't on the regular version. That was really sweet on draft day. I had no idea about that when I got HD.

I have every ability to ignore a ringing phone at any time and always do when it's my home phone. That's what answering machines are for. If it sounds urgent I will grab it. If not, it can wait.

So did you have to get to the actual cancellation department, or was a front line an inferior site able to handle this? I always get Superfan for free, but this 120$ off is very interesting indeed.....

The frontline rep, the very first person I talked to. I know most of the time you have to play a game of poker with these guys and bluff all the way until the cancellation dept guys go to the disconnect screen on your account, but this time it was the very first guy I talked to. Awesomeness indeed.

Call them back, you can get the Superfan for free. I only paid for the superfan one time and that was the year I signed up with dtv...and i got the tix for free..so it was no biggy. ever since then, i've called and said i wasn't keeping it unless i got the superfan for free. one year, i got a free hd dvr upgrade for keeping the tix. This year, i got the superfan for free and $60 off the price of the tix. dropped the payments from $44 to $34.

I did the EXACT same thing and got the same deal! I was gonna post a similar thing to get all Panther fans a good deal on Superfan...

we need to look out for each other. Economy sucks. Money is tight. Next up for Montsta? Buying those Panthers jerseys from China someone posted a while back to save more $$$. If I can find one that doesn't have midget-sized numbers sewn on, no one will know the difference!

Archived