• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Are The Bobcats Horrible At Shooting?

chknwing

I honestly think that it's two things. 

1. Lack of shoot talent on the team

2. Slump

While we don't have a ton of talent on the team, it's still not fair to say that we are a "horrible" shooting team. Besides, FG% is an awful stat to show how bad a team is at shooting. We're actually a decent team from mid range, but we don't have many knockdown 3pt shooters. In fact our starting lineup boasts a total of ZERO above average 3pt shooters. 

Kemba, Jefferson, Pargo, Gordon, and Hendo (yes, even Hendo) are very good mid range shooters. The problem, right now is that Jefferson hasn't played a whole lot, Kemba is on a major slump, Pargo hasn't played, Gordon hasn't played, and Henderson is on a major slump. Kemba, Jefferson, and Henderson all shoot over 40% from mid range (Henderson 44%, Kemba 42%, Big Al 41% -- last season). 

So really our main problem is just our best shooters 1. not playing, and 2. slumping at the same time. Although we won't be an efficiently scoring team until we get two more starters who can shoot the 3 ball really well. 

once Jefferson gets back out there we will get more open looks because he will demand double teams.

the misuse, or no-use at all of Ben Gordon is bewildering to me because we have been in such a slump.. Pargo too..

im not sure what to make of it other than Clifford is sticking with the guys hoping they will get out of the funk

Mark Price, one of the best shooters in NBA history is an assistant coach on this team yet charlotte is the worst team in the league in regards to shooting.

30msadi.jpg

This is easy.  McRoberts is a horrible shooter, and he pretty much negates any double teams that hypothetically Al Jefferson (whose out of shape) should draw.     McRoberts, while good at ball handling for a big man and passing presents hardly 0 offensive threat.  I can't tell you how much I've seen him miss both 3's and especially lay ups.  All his moving without the ball and passes means nothing if he can't make the defense respect him by knocking down shots.  So when McRoberts is on the floor it pretty much allows the opposing PF to double down on Jefferson or double Henderson when he tries his elbow jumpers. 

This is why we drafted Zeller, but he's playing stiff and sort of got a deer in the head lights thing going on right now.  He's a rookie so it's understandable but still it's annoying.   Ideally we should matchup a mid range PF with some deep ball ability with Al Jefferson (which McRoberts is supposed to be).  Because Al Jefferson is primarily an on the block post player, having two low post scorers would pretty much clog offensive passing lanes, create spacing issues for offensive sets, and generally make it easier to collapse on Al when he gets the ball on the low block.  

All this is forcing our guards and 3 wingers to bear the brunt of the shooting burden.  But our guards are asked to do a lot and it's hard for them to shoot over 50% night in and night out especially when defenses know they're our primary scoring option.  

This is  where Clifford has done a good job stressing our guards and forwards to try and get to the charity stripe....which is why we're a .500 team to begin with.

After watching this team, especially after tonight against the Suns here is what I think we need to do this coming off season......

*The Al Jefferson signing was a bad signing.  We're a team that can run the floor and he can't.   We need to let him get his numbers and then try to trade him.

*We need to find a way to get McRoberts off the books.   

*We need to find one more PG since Kemba and Sessions are asked to do a lot.

*We need to see if we can lure an athletic big in FA, and I wouldn't be opposed to pulling off some Gettle Magic and double down on big men in the draft.

*I think we can all see we're not going to win a playoff series this year.  Best case scenario....swept first round as an 8th seed.  So it's important to not play ourselves out of the lottery or draft picks this year.  Either way we're looking at a highly forgettable season.  Might as well have a memorable one next year.

*I think we can all see we're not going to win a playoff series this year.  Best case scenario....swept first round as an 8th seed.  So it's important to not play ourselves out of the lottery or draft picks this year.  Either way we're looking at a highly forgettable season.  Might as well have a memorable one next year.

50246-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-RHL

Archived