• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derrick Mason retires

scpanther22

from roto

Derrick Mason surprisingly announced his retirement from pro football Monday.

The announcement comes on JockLife.com, a website owned by Mason's agents Peter Schaffer and Lamont Smith. It's legit. Mason was coming off shoulder surgery and requested a pay raise earlier this offseason, but says this decision is based more on emotions. "Emotionally I am just not that enthused." Assuming Mason doesn't change his mind, the Ravens are woefully thin at wideout with Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams atop the depth chart. Mason finishes his career with 790 catches, good for 23rd all time

yawn...another washed up WR retires

Man, I wish I could have a "washed up" receiver that just caught 80 balls for 1,000 yards on a run-first team with a rookie QB after playing part of the season with a separated shoulder.

Underrated guy for sure. And he was a stud last year for what he went through with his shoulder. I never saw that guy flinch no matter how he landed. No alligator arms either. THAT is a warrior, one who neither complains of nor speaks of his injury (as in using it for an excuse)...just plays through it.

In an interview last night, he kinda left the door open a little. Sounds like he's backtracked a little bit...

It wouldn't surprise me. The retirement seems like a knee-jerk reaction to his friend's death. He may end up sticking to it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a change of heart.

Archived