• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DRAFT SPECULATION/NEWS THREAD

MichaelNewtonII

I don't put much faith in a rumor (5 days before the draft) that has the 9th TEAM picking being settled on 1 or 2 guys. That would be stupid of a FO to let out who they like days before the draft. Specially when they are picking 9th. Anything could happen to make sure you don't get that guy if other teams really knew who you wanted. And giving them 4 or 5 days to make it happen is dumb.

Ken Berger, NBA Insider

@EyeOnBasketball: . @kbergcbs: Hornets 'focused' on Doug McDermott and Nik Stauskas at No. 9

Furthermore, Clifford recently came out and said that he wants bigger players on the premier so they can get off their shots.

Stauskas (SG) and McDermott (SF, Clifford said he was a three) are two of the biggest guys at their respective positions.

My guess is...

1. McDermott

2. Stauskas

Ken Berger, NBA Insider

@EyeOnBasketball: . @kbergcbs: Hornets 'focused' on Doug McDermott and Nik Stauskas at No. 9

My guess is...

1. McDermott

2. Stauskas

Furthermore, Clifford recently came out and said that he wants bigger players on the premier so they can get off their shots.

Stauskas (SG) and McDermott (SF, Clifford said he was a three) are two of the biggest guys at their respective positions.

Don't believe none of that poo. Cho would be stupid to let this leak out a week before the draft unless he wanted it to. Plus McDermott is on avg. size for his position. Lebron, Melo, and Durrant are all bigger with crazy wingspans. Not to mention George, Green, and Gay who are all his size with more wingspan.

I don't put much faith in a rumor (5 days before the draft) that has the 9th TEAM picking being settled on 1 or 2 guys. That would be stupid of a FO to let out who they like days before the draft. Specially when they are picking 9th. Anything could happen to make sure you don't get that guy if other teams really knew who you wanted. And giving them 4 or 5 days to make it happen is dumb.

I tend to take the other view.

If we don't have a strong idea of who we would take three days before the draft then we're in trouble because that means our scouting department and front office is full of a bunch of indecisive individuals who are pretty much treating the draft like a slot machine (pulling the lever and hoping for the best). Do we have back-up options, absolutely but the top three guys have already been decided on.

I guarantee you that the Panthers knew they were going to take Benjamin (if he was available) at least a week before the draft.

As for the leakage... well athletics are corrupt. These NBA reporters are allowed back stage and they hear things, see things and speak to people who hear and see things. That's just the way the business is.

Don't believe none of that poo. Cho would be stupid to let this leak out a week before the draft unless he wanted it to. Plus McDermott is on avg. size for his position. Lebron, Melo, and Durrant are all bigger with crazy wingspans. Not to mention George, Green, and Gay who are all his size with more wingspan.

This post goes hand in hand with the other one.

Cho has no say in what gets leaked... I'll give you an example.

I have a friend who works for the Carolina Hurricanes as a concessions manager. Three hours before the NHL Draft I got a text that read Canes traded their first round pick and Brandon Sutter for Jordan Staal. I searched the internet for validation and there was absolutely nothing. 45 minutes before the draft rumors started to come in that Sutter and a first (as well as a prospect) were indeed being traded for Staal. I found out later that my friend overheard the general manager talking about the deal while walking around the arena.

The point is the media has sources in every organization and all it takes is for one person to get a hold of a rumor or a quote before it gets out to the mass media.

And no... McDermott is not average size for his position, he's average height.. his size is not. Clifford is quoted as saying that he wants players that can create matchup problems. Well one thing McDermott can do is create a matchup problem on offense. Unfortunately he also creates a bad matchup problem on defense.

We have MKG and Zeller to develop.  I imagine if they become full time starters, which they should considering where we took them, they will start at SF and PF respectively.  Where does that leave Mickey D's?  At the nine spot, I want to draft a potential starter, not a sixth man.  Although having a strong sixth man is awesome, I just want a potential starter at this spot.

Archived