• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coin toss: Electing to receive the ball in the 2nd half

Hotsauce

I love that we are doing this, this year consistently. This allows us to put the #2 NFL defense on the field first, make a defensive stop, and give the ball to Cam. I think this sets a great tone for the rest of the game.

It also has helped create our stat of zero first half points (aside from the Atlanta game) this season. Also, Carolina leads the NFL in ball control. This means that we go up early, hold the opponent to zero, then when the second half starts, we get the ball have have the opportunity to put more points on the board.

When a team starts a second half with zero points, they have to take higher risks (I.e. Not running the ball and passing more).

Ask the Giants how that worked out. Or the Rams, or atl.

Personally, I think we defer and put our Defense out there first so if they stop them, we actually get decent field position. If they kickoff, we start at the 20, if we force a punt, we start at the 30 or better.

IMO, Rivera likes to put pressure on you from the get go. What better place to start than forcing a team to go 80 yards to score. Very few teams, are built for the rigors of such a feat. He sets you up to fail, planting the first of many seeds of destruction and mayhem he has planned for you.

I just absolutely love that we defer. our defense is strong and fresh at the beginning of games and sometimes it takes a few series for offenses to get into rhythm, so it makes perfect sense. you've got that mental edge knowing if you force a punt on the first possession you just gained yourself a free possession effectively.

also in 25% of our games this year the opponents' first drive ended in an interception, one of them returned for a TD.

Exactly. Take advantage of that slow start you spoke of, and force them to punt. Getting decent field position, at least 10-20 yards better than receiving the kickoff. Then you drive down and score. You have done two things. 1, punched them in the face both Defensively, and Offensively. 2, you have served notice that you are here to play 60 minutes.

I tell ya what. I love the type of team we are becoming. Physical, Methodical, and Aggressive. The whole culture has changed. We no longer Play well, and play not to lose. Now we Play very well, and play to spank whomever happens to be on the other side of the field.

Outside of O-line, we can go ballz out all game, because we have the depth to play that style. You need a breather, you no longer have to wait for the right time, you can come out and play does not suffer.

Ah hellz, I'm like a giddy school girl. Once I get started...but we look so damm good right now.

Archived