• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coin toss: Electing to receive the ball in the 2nd half

Hotsauce

I love that we are doing this, this year consistently. This allows us to put the #2 NFL defense on the field first, make a defensive stop, and give the ball to Cam. I think this sets a great tone for the rest of the game.

It also has helped create our stat of zero first half points (aside from the Atlanta game) this season. Also, Carolina leads the NFL in ball control. This means that we go up early, hold the opponent to zero, then when the second half starts, we get the ball have have the opportunity to put more points on the board.

When a team starts a second half with zero points, they have to take higher risks (I.e. Not running the ball and passing more).

Actually giving the ball to their offense first, which likely means they get more first half possessions, would increase the chance we give up more first quarter or first half points.  If we got the ball first and took significant time off the clock and then if we held them on their first possession, we would have 2 possessions to their one which would increase the chances of them not scoring particularly in the first quarter.  The way it is, we are giving them multiple chances to score early which makes the fact we give up so few points even more significant.

I love that we chose to defer when we win the coin toss.. As OP stated, it allows our defensive to set the tone and get a stop. The only way I could see a team wanting to receive the ball to begin the game would be if they had ultimate confidence that their offense could dominate possession of the ball for the entire game. 

Finally CRT Ron and company have realized our offense is motivated by the great play of our defense. Those men are the backbone of this team. When the offense figs up and goes 3 and out, our defense is there grinding and holding the opposing offense to almost nothing. 

The strategy works only if you get a stop right away.  If we defer and give up 2 Tds on the first 2 drives I suspect the sentiment would change in a heartbeat.

I doubt it.  It is the same strategy used by most teams at all levels.  There are some coaches who prefer the ball first but not as many who rather defer if given the option.

Archived