• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers Contract extention?

o803oVaDeR

Teams can officially designate Franchise and Transition Players between Feb 5, 2009 and Feb 19, 2009.

February 26 is the deadline for clubs to submit qualifying offers to their RFAs whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Draft Compensation.

Free Agency officially begins on February 27. For RFAs, the period officially ends on April 17. The deadline for old clubs to exercise the Right of First Refusal to RFAs is April 24. For UFAs (including Franchise players and Transition players), who have been given a tender offer from their prior team, the period officially ends on July 22 or the first day of training camp -- whichever is later.

Under the old CBA, a team had until March 17 to work out a long term deal with its Franchise Player. If the team signed the Franchise Player between March 18 and July 14, the tag would have stayed with that player for the length of his contract, which meant that the team could not name another Franchise Payer until that player's contract was terminated. The updated CBA pushed that date back until July 22, the same as the free agency deadline. However, there remains a caveat: The club may NOT sign the tagged player to a long-term contract after July 14. That is, the team has until July 14 to sign the tagged player to a long-term contract; afterwards the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior team, and the contract may not be extended until after the last regular season game.

As I understand it, there's nothing that prevents them from talking to him about a contract, but nothing could actually be signed between the deadline and the last game of the season. As soon as the season is over, it's open.

In a way, it could be better for the team not to sign him to an extension until later as it would free up the franchise tag to be used again on someone else if needed.

(Jon Beason for example)

I would only really want him for 5 more years MAX
Depends on how healthy he stays. Defensive linemen can have long careers long as they remain healthy. Not saying they should sign him for as long as possible though. The man has remained healthy very well. I hope for his continued health.

As I understand it, there's nothing that prevents them from talking to him about a contract, but nothing could actually be signed between the deadline and the last game of the season. As soon as the season is over, it's open.

In a way, it could be better for the team not to sign him to an extension until later as it would free up the franchise tag to be used again on someone else if needed.

(Jon Beason for example)

After July 15th the player can only sign a one year contract. That contract can not be negotiated until after the season as concluded. So we would be in a situation of how we were with Gross this off season. The option to either sign him long term or Franchise tag him again.

The franchise tag now is revolving, meaning each team can use it once per season. Even if a current Franchise tag player signs a long term deal.

It used to be if you signed a FT player while under the tag to a Long term contract the tag stayed with the player for the length of the contract.\

If your interested in doing so, you can download the full CBA from the NFLPA website.

A long term deal will be done before the deadline...

Clayton said yesterday, that there just isn't enough time to work out all the details. If he held on to not signing the tender as long as he did, I can see the two of them (Pep & Carrey) fighting over every dollar.

Can't argue with you on the Peppers front. You have been right on so far. If it is as you say, I predict much rep for you.:D

he has been right up to this point... we'll see if it happens. If so, I guess he did want to stay here after all... :cool: But I will still be surprised if they work out a deal in time...

Archived