• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers Contract extention?

o803oVaDeR

peppers' agent said that Julius is open to long term contract discussions just after he signed the tender. 40 mil guaranteed only sounds like a 3 yr deal though since Pep is now worth about 14 mil a year.

Not necessarily.....I believe Haynesworth signed a 7 yr $100M contract and about $45-50M was guaranteed.

if he does sign a long term deal i will need to eat some crow. i didnt think he would be back this year much less sign a long term deal. i dont know how to feel about it now. it is alot better for him to stay of course, i just had been talking my self out of liking him all year and now i think i need to re evaluate it.

Not necessarily.....I believe Haynesworth signed a 7 yr $100M contract and about $45-50M was guaranteed.

Yea, schematics wise it's a 7 yr deal. It really just ends up being a 4 year 48 million dollar deal with most of it squeezed into the uncapped year. He's due like a 23 million dollar signing bonus in the 2010 season.

Really? I didn't know that either, interesting though. I think I would be happy seeing him signed and actually hang around at least 3 more years.

Bad part of that is we can't have contract talks with him during the season, so we'd be in a similar situation to what we had with Gross.

Bad part of that is we can't have contract talks with him during the season, so we'd be in a similar situation to what we had with Gross.

I could be wrong but I thought you could resume talks w/ a FT player after a certain period. It used to be that way anyhow.

he should sign a long term contract so we can franchise him again next year

Perhaps I'm missing some sarcasm or something here but if he signs a long term deal, there would be no need to franchise him next year. :confused:

I have said before that I don't necessarily want to see them ink him to a long term before the season. While it would be nice to have the security of not having to deal w/ this all over again (and possibly free up some cap space), I think that he will be much more motivated to dominate (like he has the god given gifts to do) if he is in a contract year again.

I could be wrong but I thought you could resume talks w/ a FT player after a certain period. It used to be that way anyhow.

Nah it's a violation of NFLPA rules now and results in some sort of sanction against the team. After July 15th the team and player can't talk about contracts anymore what so ever. The player has to play out the Franchise tag till the Off season resigning period starts.

If I can find the link again I'll post it. It's been a while since I looked at it.

I thought the July 15 deadline was the lastest the team could remove the tag if the player had not signed the tender. Thus resulting in no contract talks thereafter. But if the player signs the tender before that date, contract talks can continue until the end of the pre-season. Then once the season starts, no more talks can resume until after the trading deadline.

That's whats in my head and its very detailed and complicated so if I'm wrong, which I very well could be, then I'm not sure where it all came from...

Archived